What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Here are a few Utricularia flowers from my collection. Not all were in flower at once. The U. fulva, U. calycifida, and U. asplundii are in flower (or working on being in flower) right now.

My Utricularia collection is a pretty big mess right now. Most have pot hopped into other pots.

This one is labeled as U. dichotoma, but it's lacking the skirt?
dichotoma.jpg

dichotoma2.jpg

U. graminifolia
graminifolia.jpg

U. calycifida
calycifida.jpg

U. fulva
fulva2.jpg

fulva.jpg

U. asplundii
asplundii.jpg

Enjoy,
Crystal

Great flowers. :) I really like the coloration of U. fulva. And the U. asplundii has an interesting stalk.

And about the U. dichotoma, or supposedly, I would say it is. Perhaps it's a slightly deformed flower?

WOAH.. I didn't know you have U. asplundii!

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with my "U. dichotoma". Every flower has been that way.

Jeff, yep I have U. asplundii. I hope to figure out how to pollinate it.

pretty flowers!

Great job!

Beautiful collection. How do you grow your U. fulva? I have been growing mine as an affixed aquatic, very warm and humid with my Drosera falconeri. It grows well, but is not very dense. With a lower water table, the stolons fall flat against the media, and look terrible. Just curious if this normal growth, as yours looks dense and lush in the background.

Crissy:

Thanks for sharing! I was just lucky enough to procure some U. fulva. My source said that he's growing it just like any other terrestrial utric, without any real seasonal variations. Most information on the web says that this species is an annual which needs seasonal variations, but he says he gets good growth and flowering year-round without any special treatment. Just curious how long you've been growing it, and under what conditions. Again, thanks for sharing! I'll have to put up some photos of my favorites when I get a chance...

Thanks guys!

I don't think I can take much credit for the flowers. I've only had it a few weeks. I'm guessing the change in conditions (from the person I purchased it from to mine) probably triggered blooming. I'm growing it like my other terrestrial Utricularia. The media is approximately 50/50 peat and sand. No special humidity. Temperatures are approximately 82-85F day and 78F at night. I have it sitting in a shoe box with several other pots, I fill it about half full (which is about 2/3 the way up the U. fulva pot) and let it go down until there is no water left in the shoe box. I repeat the process. It was already fairly lush when I received it. It looks like it's continuing to grow thickly though; there's already a ton of new growth. The U. bilboa that I also received, that one is being a little weird with growth.

jrod: Thanks and you're welcome! Our source is probably the same. I don't plan on giving it anything other than a decreased photoperiod in this winter. My temperatures are based on the household temperatures plus the heat my lights give off. It's too difficult to bring the temperatures down, so I don't (I only mess with it for my Helis and Neps). I just received it not long ago (less than two months) so I can't provide that much growing info right now. I'd be happy to report back after I have a little more experience with it. I'd like to see your photos when you get chance!

Crystal

I'm experimenting with a new growing method for terrestrials, so I'll have to see how it goes. I've found the hardest part is the space required to keep them from invading other pots. They have to be separated from all other pots by at least a few inches and monitored regularly to avoid infiltration. That's how I wound up with a whole 10x20 tray full of U. longifolia. Space limitations are always my biggest problem, but I really like a lot of the terrestrial utrics! I'd recommend U. microcalyx to everyone! It's only bloomed in the spring for me, but it puts on a heckuva show...

My understanding U. fulva is annual in nature only because the ground dries out during the hot dry Summer. In cultivation it will happily grow as a perennial as long as it is treated as such and stays wet all year. They seem to be growing just fine even with the shorter cool days this time of year. I have not modified how I grow mine at all. They stay half wet constantly.. which means to me to keep the water level halfway up the pot. I have one flowering now also so apparently they flower this time of year. Which would make sense as they would be growing and flowering during the cool wet Winter in their natural habitat and the seed would then remain dormant over the hot dry Summer.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with my "U. dichotoma". Every flower has been that way.
You may have a genetic defect with the plant ... :0o: I had a seed-grown flava with every pitcher having the lid screwed up in the same way.

Jeff, yep I have U. asplundii. I hope to figure out how to pollinate it.
Congrats on the all the beautiful flowers - especially the fulva & asplundii - oh - and RSS's personal flowerless tormentor - U. graminifolia. :-))

I found the reason for the very deformed U. dichotoma. It's a mite magnet. I'm working on getting the problem taken care of.

Thanks RL. The asplundii should be opening soon. When it does I'll post a picture. I've had the U. graminifolia for awhile. No idea why it decided to flower now ???.

Yowza I just love that U. fulva. Very "snapdragonny". It allso reminds me of decorated easter eggs for some reason! :D

How big is the U. fulva bloom/whole plant?

It does have a snapdragon look too it! The color and speckles are quite striking in my opinion for a Utric. The 'leaves' are only a couple cm long and kinda lie flat on the substrate.. I grow mine wet so that may be why. The flower is pretty large in Utric. terms lol They can certainly be enjoyed without the aid of a magnifying glass...1.5cm wide or so

I took photos today so I will try and post one later or tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

UfulvaCR.jpg

U. fulva

UinvolvensCR.jpg

U. involvens

Thanks Tony for the size description. They are pretty small compared to the larger blooming Utrics, but certainly not microscopic. I'll see about getting some new pictures tomorrow with a size reference.

Nice pic of U. involvens. I normally don't like all solid yellow Utrics, but that one is nice. About how large is that flower?

Lovely pictures and colors Crystal and Tony. I absolutely loved watching my dichotoma and longifolia most out of all of my utrics.

IMG_2041.JPG_595.jpg

IMG_2057.JPG_595.jpg

U. dichotoma

IMG_2472.JPG_595.jpg

U. longifolia

Very common but with a subtle beauty ...

U. livida
Ulividaflowers111009RS1.jpg

Beautiful pictures and flowers French and RL! I'm yet to see my U. longifolia bloom. I think I have the non-free flowering clone.

I don't think the buds on my U. asplundii are ever going to open!

Here are the promised pictures for size comparison:
fulva.jpg

fulva2.jpg

Back