What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have two utrics, which one will suit my purpose?

I have U. livida and U. sandersonii. I would like to know which one would tolerate:

Low light

and which one would tolerate

Living with d. adalea.

I would also like to know: Will they flower in this situation? I want to keep the adalea under low light and use it as a house plant.

Please advise!

always had best flowering under good light.....Utrics will grow in some pretty low light situations but most dont seem to like to flower in them....

Thanks, I do understand that, but I am really looking for a comparison of the two: which one will do what I want better?

couldnt tell yah, experiment.....

lividas are easier to care for but i find sandersonii better looking if you are looking for flowers that are easier to grow i woud go with the livida they will live as long as you have light i have 1 because its nice to have a plant you dont have to worry about

Yeah, I think livida is kinder than the sonii. I just got my first sandersonii flowers last month! Livida has been flowering all along. Hmm.

Anyone else want to sway my decision?

My lividia didn't flower till I gave it about 4 hours of direct sunlight on my windowsill, before it got about 2 hours and not much light after. But one time the pot practically dried out, and the leaves were shriveled, but I watered it and it came back.

My sandersonii did that. It came back also. That is a survival feature of theirs.

Thanks guys for your help, but I hope someone who knows which works better will come along.

I am still pondering. Which would be better?

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Hmm, based on what you've told me and what I've seen, I think livida is the better choice. I say this reluctantly mind you! :jester:

I've had livida flower for me in the shade.

I think that U. livida would do slightly better than the sandersonii for flowering. Both of mine are flowering now, but livida has been more prolific.

The vote is unanimous. Livida it is!

Thanks for your help everyone!

I always though that sanderonnii was easier to get to flower.. mine is flowering like crazy and my livida only has 3 flowers. oh well, might as well agree with what everyone said. :p

@Devon: I haven't had the same experience in my terrarium, but the livida is close to the water outlet, and the sandersonii is on the other side...so it's not fair! Keep in mind the goal is low light. Have you found that sandersonii is happy in light that would suit D adalae?

I still haven't planted the wort, so I can take more input.\\

THANKS

I have been growing U. sandersonii in a mini "USB terrarium". That dumb thing doesn't give enough light to keep a D. schizandra happy, IMO. Actually, I sprouted some ferns, but the Utric. is really etiolated. I will move it later.

D. schizandra, that is supposed to be low light...right? Do you have any of those that you wouldn't mind sharing--for something of course.

I don't have any. Have D. prolifera, but I need to grow it out some more.

D. schizandra, that is supposed to be low light...right? Do you have any of those that you wouldn't mind sharing--for something of course.

I have some.

I'll trade you a drosera dichotoma or SW giant fvt for it jeff.

Back