What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few of the utrics

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Picture002-4.jpg
U. sandersonii (White)

Picture095.jpg
U. sandersonnii (Blue)

Picture094.jpg
U. sandersonnii (Blue)

Picture093.jpg
U. longifolia

nice! love the grassyness of the first one!

Jim,
could you tell me the cultivation perimeters for your U. longifolia? I'm having a surprisingly hard time with it. There is growth, but it is all been underground lately. I can't remember the last time when I saw it produce a new leaf. What should i do?

Jim,
could you tell me the cultivation perimeters for your U. longifolia? I'm having a surprisingly hard time with it. There is growth, but it is all been underground lately. I can't remember the last time when I saw it produce a new leaf. What should i do?

There's nothing particularly special going on. The media is LFS and the colony is on the grow rack, deriving light from the glass doors and the Grow Lite above. They were outside for the summer. They have never flowered, unfortunately. They do tend to want to be more immersed in water than most cp's.

Picture007-3.jpg
U. grammifolia... on the outside of the pot, in the water

Picture001-5.jpg
U. nephrophylla

Picture004-5.jpg
U. livida

Hi Jim,
Thanks for sharing pics of some of your utrics (but man that is one nasty-looking tag in that U. bisquamata pot!). :-D Your U. longifolia does look very happy. :-O I've got some in several different conditions to see if I can get some flowers this spring from one of them. Currently, my money is on the one in the east-facing windowsill since it's experiencing the best seasonal photoperiod & temperature changes. If that doesn't work, next winter one will go into the basement with the VFTs/Cephs for the winter.

Last summer I received 3 clones of U. nephrophylla. The differences in growth have really amazed me. The 1st one I received has put up less than 6 leaves & none are larger than 1/16". The moss easily overgrows it if I don't intervene. The last clone I received has spread rapidly through each pot I stuck a piece in & has flower stalks in all 3. Some of the leaves are ~1/4". The last clone came as a volunteer in a pot of U. reniformis & it's growth is in-between the other two. I never figured there would be such a big difference between clones.

On the ICPS forum, there was a thread on flower inducement in utrics. My 2nd nephro clone (the fast one) is providing some support for the potbound theory. When I got the plant, I repotted into 3 pots. The bulk of the plant went into a 3.5" pot, a smaller chunk in a 2.5" pot and a tiny piece left on the bench into a 1" 'pot'. The piece in the 1" pot sent up a flower stalk over a month ago & is just now breaking out into a bloom. The 2.5" pot has several stalks that will probably bloom in 2-3 weeks and I just noticed several stalks just starting in the 3.5" pot this morning... :scratch:

I cleaned it up a bit:

Picture002-6.jpg

I haven't had this species flower for me in a few years. I had a lot of "beginner's luck". Potbound and intervals of flooding. Probably a change in daylength, temperature change, and a little feeding as well.

I cleaned it up a bit:
Just busting your chops - no need to change anything! :blush:
I haven't had this species flower for me in a few years.
You're referring to the U. bisquamata? I'm hoping for some blooms once things warm up a bit - although my 'Betty's Bay' is probably the slowest / poorest-growing of all of my 'weedy utrics' - nowhere near as vigorous as your plant (I might need to repot this summer if it doesn't start moving).

Picture003-6.jpg
U. gibba

Picture005-16.jpg
Aldrovanda

Picture019.jpg
U. subulata

Oh you have a clone of subulata that the flowers open on, when you end up with too much I might have to steal some. My clone is the no flower no seed one I believe. I've had so many seed pods that never open.

Not that I really want another weed :)

I'm not sure if it's the particular clone as much as the season it thinks it's in.

Picture001-14.jpg
U. longifolia, almost opened

Being modest?

Picture013.jpg

Jim,

How long have you had your plant?

In my experience with this species, most growth is underground (and there may be a lot more growth than you think) until the plant reaches a critical mass and then you start to see it take off above ground. If you recently received the plant this is most likely the case.

How long have you had your plant?

In my experience with this species, most growth is underground (and there may be a lot more growth than you think) until the plant reaches a critical mass and then you start to see it take off above ground. If you recently received the plant this is most likely the case.

I would agree with that completely...just be careful what you wish for. I want mine to stop growing.

i've had it since november, and ironically, NO undergrowth. weird aint it. i dont know what i did wrong since longifolia can survive pretty much in any condition it grows in. but yeah, no undergrowth. hahahaha. i just recently bought a new plug, and we'll see how it does.

ironic since the quelchii is a beast....

Back