What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's been a very good spring for my plants as they've presented me with some flowers that I've never seen before (in person).

I'll start with the flower of the month - U. longifolia ...
Ulongifolia-front032910RS.jpg

Ulongifolia-side032910dRS.jpg

Ulongifoliastem040110RS.jpg

.... and now my super surprise - U. nelumbifolia. I got some of these plants late last summer and never expected flowers for some time. One of my plants not only bloomed, it had two stalks (another plant still attached to an aerial stolon sent up a stalk but I clipped it - what was it thinking??).
Unelumbifoliafront-side032910RS.jpg

Unelumbifolia-frontRS.jpg

.... and the one below clearly shows the stripes on the spur - very cool.
Unelumbifolia-sideRS.jpg

... and my vote for the most under-appreciated plant of the group - U. nephrophylla - lovely ivory white offset by colorful protruding eyes....
Unephroflowerfront022010RS.jpg

Unephroflowerthird022010RS.jpg

.... and now the 'Triclops' - three eyes (& yes - that's a 2nd spur)
Unephrophyllatriclops033010bRS.jpg

A few from the 'Little weedy section'... First up - the turtle shell of U. graminifolia...
Ugraminifolia-side032910cRS.jpg

Ugraminifolia-side032910aRS.jpg

The plant that gets my vote for most difficult to photograph - U. bisquamata
Ubisquamata-front032910eRS.jpg

... to give an idea of the size - here's one that includes my skinny finger... combine this tiny flower with a point-and-shoot camera that doesn't have manual focus or depth-of-field control and you get a lot of :censor:
Ubisquamata-front032910RS.jpg

I'll finish with a group shot of U. livida blooms ...
Ulividafronts031510dRS.jpg

....some additional shots of U. livida & the others are in my growlist (typically different angles)

Niiiice :). Can't wait til my nelumbifolia blooms :boogie:

hmmmm that finger print just came back from AFIS as being a person of interest to homeland defense...

;)

Impressive as always Ron,

BTW, you are now under surveillance, wave to the camera my friend ;)

Nice plain whorl!

Those are some great utric blooms you got there. wish Mine would flower! They need a different set up though I think...

Excellent! Utrics have such amazing flowers.

Just to be geeky!

Ok - I started this thread on April 1st - today is May 19th & my U. longifolia are still blooming! The plant with the 1st blooms in this thread still has 4 beautiful flowers & at least one more on the way. Two other plants are still flowering - but not with as many. Here's a pic from today...
Ulongifoliaflowersc051910RS.jpg

As you can see from the swollen seedpod (upper left), all of the previous flowers on this stalk were pollinated. Counting the one that's about to open, there are/were nine flowers on this stalk.

Last edited:
Beautiful!

Ok - I started this thread on April 1st - today is May 19th & my U. longifolia are still blooming!
July 29th and still have 4 blooms - 2 blooms per plant - 4 months of blooms & still going - one flower just opened a few days ago. :-O
------------------------------
Later edit: still have 4 flowers on Aug 22 ....

Last edited:
Back