What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia species.... what are you growing?

One I've not seen listed here yet is U. pubescens. I have some of that-- cute little button leaves!

I REALLY need to go count, now. :D

actually quite a few are in the states, i have seen(ones with * i have actually had):

U. alpina*
U. asplundii*
U. endresii*
U. jamesoniana
U. praetermissa*
U. quelchii*

the only ones i aint sure about being in the states are unifolia, buntingiana and campbelliana....alpina is darn easy to come by if you look, asplundi a lil less so....the hybrids quelchii × praetermissa 'Jitka' and alpina x endressii are not to hard to find either if yah got decent trading material

I agree they are in the states, but getting ahold of them without importing is the issue. You need something special to trade for them, connections, blackmail, or just luck. I'd love to see a few of them up on the auction this year. Hint...Hint... I've have been looking for U. alpina for about a year with no luck. Its the general trading issues, the people that have the rarer plants that are growing well don't want anything the average CP grower has. The few I've seen for sale are either really expensive or just look unhealthy.

I've managed to get 3 of them over about a year, which I think is pretty good and I'm happy with that rate. Someday I'll track down an U. alpina, I'm not in any hurry.

I agree they are in the states, but getting ahold of them without importing is the issue. You need something special to trade for them, connections, blackmail, or just luck. I'd love to see a few of them up on the auction this year. Hint...Hint... I've have been looking for U. alpina for about a year with no luck. Its the general trading issues, the people that have the rarer plants that are growing well don't want anything the average CP grower has. The few I've seen for sale are either really expensive or just look unhealthy.

I've managed to get 3 of them over about a year, which I think is pretty good and I'm happy with that rate. Someday I'll track down an U. alpina, I'm not in any hurry.

That's all you want? You never asked me! :)

I can send you some U. alpina in May.

That's all you want? You never asked me! :)

I can send you some U. alpina in May.

I'd love some if you have extra.

Also I've seen people growing microcalyx, I have from seeds but they are doing nothing.

U. warburgii is findable, its on my "why won't you grow" list. The portion I have may have added 1/8" over 6 months.

I remember U. warburgii as being a fairly fast grower

U. warburgii is findable, its on my "why won't you grow" list. The portion I have may have added 1/8" over 6 months.
I remember U. warburgii as being a fairly fast grower
Well - mine seems to be in between these 2 extremes. I was tired of the moss & slime that was on the media so I started a 2nd pot with a top coating of a larger grit of sand. Has worked fairly well in keeping the nasty stuff at bay and the warburgii leaves have popped up through the sand all over the pot. However, it has yet to flower - although I'm hopeful that the warm weather will stimulate those urges.... :-O

If you want a fast grower, get some U. graminifolia. That stuff is nuts! As RSS has noted elsewhere, it teleports...

I've got to find a way to control U. sandersonii. It doesn't even wait to get potbound before sending out 'feelers' and unlike the other species, it can reach quite a ways....

Really low light keeps U. sandersonii in check!

Really low light keeps U. sandersonii in check!

I never made that connection, but the ones growing in lower light are growing more in there pot then all over the place.

currently i have longifolia, 3 clones of humboldtii and im getting quelchii here soon. does anyone have nelumbifolia?

Alex

currently i have longifolia, 3 clones of humboldtii and im getting quelchii here soon. does anyone have nelumbifolia?

Alex

Pm me. Or actually email me at 6wongsljp*gmail.com. Replace * with @.

I cant wait to get back to the point where I have spare plants to trade! Thankfully Utrics grow quickly for me!

I have the right now Sandersonii and Bisquamata. (The commoners) lol

I got back into utrics last year after getting away from them for awhile. Here's what's growing:

arenaria
bisquamata
dichotoma
graminifolia
livida
longifolia-long form
longifolia-short form
merriwak
monanthos
nephrophylla
parthenopipes
praelonga
quelchii
reniformis
sandersonii
sandersonii 'Blue'
subulata
tricolor

What I'm missing are some of the calcyfidas. Does anyone have 'Asenath Waite' or 'Yog Sothoth' for trade?

This is what seems to be available!

Utricularia adpressa *

Utricularia alpina
• “Pittier Moon”

Utricularia amethystina
• White flower, Auyan Tepui
• Lilac Flower *

Utricularia arenaria *

Utricularia arnhemica
• Prince Regent River, Kimberley, NT, Australia

Utricularia Asplundii

Utricularia aureomaculata
• Aparaman Tepui
• Murosipan Tepui

Utricularia babui
• Thailand

Utricularia bifida
• Mersing, Malaysia
• Terenganu, Malaysia

Utricularia biloba
• Moolooaba, Queensland, AU

Utricularia bisquamata
• Bettys Bay *
• Large flower
• Small Flower

Utricularia blanchetii
• Pink flower *
• White flower, Chapada Diamantina - Bahia, Brazil *

Utricularia caerulea
• White flower, Mersing, Malaysia

Utricularia calycifida
• Purple flower
• ‘Asenath Waite’
• ‘Cthulhu’
• ‘Lavinia Whateley’
• ‘Mrs. Marsh’
• ‘Yog-Sothoth’

Utricularia campbelliana

Utricularia chrysantha
• Yellow flower

Utricularia cornuta

Utricularia delicatula
• Whangamarino Swamp, New Zealand

Utricularia dichotoma
• Tasmania *

Utricularia dunlopii
• Nourlangie, N.T.

Utricularia erectiflora *

Utricularia endresii

Utricularia flaccida

Utricularia fulva *

Utricularia geminiloba

Utricularia graminifolia
• Bright-blue flower *
• Pink flower *

Utricularia heterosepala *

Utricularia hispida
• Yellow/ creamy flower, La Gran Sabana, Summit of Mount Roraima *

Utricularia humboldtii
• Broad leafs, Cerro Neblina

Utricularia involvens
• Gunung Jerai, Malaysia, above 650 m

Utricularia juncea
• Gran Sabana
• Suwannee Canal, Okefenokee Swamp, GA, USA
• Venezuela/ Brazil border

Utricularia kamienskii
• South end of Giraween Lagoon, N.T.

Utricularia lateriflora
• Frodshams Pass, Tasmania *
• Mt. Compass, Adelaide Hills, Australia
• Lake St. Claire, Pass, Tasmania
• Rainbow Beach, Queensland, AU

Utricularia laxa *

Utricularia leptoplectra
• Giraween
• Howard Springs Lagoons, N.T.

Utricularia livida
• Blue flower, Durban, SA *
• Broad flower, Mexico
• Lemon flower, Zambia *
• Merriwuk, Natal, SA *
• Rwanda *
• Zimbabwe

Utricularia longeciliata
• 180 km of Gran Sabana, H. heterodoxa lowland site

Utricularia longifolia
• Diamantina, Brazil

Utricularia microcalyx

Utricularia minutissima
• Gunung Tahan, Pahang, Malaysia

Utricularia minutissima
• White flower, Gunung Jerai, Malaysia

Utricularia monanthos
• Hartz Mts., Tasmania
• Stewart Island, NZ

Utricularia nana
• Clone I, green leafs
• Clone II, red leafs, Gran Sabana

Utricularia nelumbifolia

Utricularia nephrophylla
• Pink flower
• White flower *

Utricularia novae-zealandiae
• Lake Ohia, NZ

Utricularia parthenopipes

Utricularia paulineae
• Clone I. *
• Clone II.

Utricularia praelonga *

Utricularia prehensilis *
• Eastern Transwaal
• Mkambati Natural Reserve, Eastern Cape, S.A.

Utricularia pubescens
• Ilu Tepui
• Serra Caraca, Minas Gerais, Brazil

Utricularia pusilla

Utricularia quelchii
• "Mount Wei"
• Ilu Tepui

Utricularia reniformis
• “Giant form”
• f. courte
• 'enfant terrible'
• 'small form'

Utricularia rostrata
• Cachaiera da Fumaca, Bahia, Brazil
• Chapada Diamantina, Brazil

Utricularia sandersonii
• Blue flower
• Large flower
• Narrow flower form

Utricularia simplex
• Karridale, WA

Utricularia subulata
• Murosipan Tepui

Utricularia tricolor

Utricularia tridentate

Utricularia triflora
• Giraween N.T.

Utricularia triloba
• St. Elena

Utricularia troupinii
• Rwanda, 2500 m

Utricularia uliginosa
• Mersing, Malaysia

Utricularia uniflora

Utricularia warburgii
• Zhejiang, Southeastern China
Utricularia welwitschii

Hybrid
Utricularia praelonga x Utricularia livida
Utricularia neprophylla x Utricularia geminiloba
Utricularia alpina x Utricularia asplundii
Utricularia alpina x Utricularia endressii
Utricularia alpina x Utricularia. humboldtii
Utricularia Quelchii x Utricularia Humboldtii
Utricularia Quelchii x Utricularia Praetermissa

Unidentified
Utricularia spec. Hermanus, (SA)
Utricularia spec. Kerala (India)
Utricularia cv. JITKA

Last edited:
You'ld have to do some international trading to get a lot of those. Which is a problem for most of us growers...

That post is my official want list!

Me too. I have a start of nelubifolia almost ready to go. Has put up one leafy stolon. Also have seedlings that I keep on talking to and hoping they will grow.

U. buntingiana? You think U. campy is growing in the states?

U. buntingiana is not in cultivation. Period.

U. campbelliana is certainly in the the US. :)

I agree they are in the states, but getting ahold of them without importing is the issue.

Not strictly true

You need something special to trade for them, connections, blackmail, or just luck... Its the general trading issues, the people that have the rarer plants that are growing well don't want anything the average CP grower has. The few I've seen for sale are either really expensive or just look unhealthy.

Respectfully, you kind of answer your own question in your statement (which I have highlighted red.)

Yes, the common hobby CP grower may not have something to offer, but to be quite honest the common hobby CP grower eventually has to decide if they are going to stay a common hobby CP grower or become a serious CP grower. A serious CP grower is willing to make an investment or 50 (0or 500) to make the jump from things like D. capensis and N. ventricosa and U. dichotoma up to things like D. stolonifera and N. macrophylla and U. alpina. Once you commit to the decision to be serious then the rest is just determination. Before I moved I had the largest collection of Orchidioides/Iperua in the US. I has every species that was in cultivation and various clones of each. It took me 5 years to do it but I did it. My "quest" produced a huge network of people that I have maintained a long standing relationship with. I worked to make the connections, they were not made for me. And I grant that, yes, there was some luck involved, but you know what they say: "You make your own luck."

Utricularia alpina x Utricularia asplundii

Just an FYI on that... I made this cross and it has yet to be confirmed. The parents are very similar in appearance when just dealing with leaves alone so until someone gets it to bloom this is a maybe. (And I thought I told the people I passed this around to to keep a "possible" note on it.)

Utricularia alpina x Utricularia. humboldtii

I also made this and again it was not confirmed by bloom. The reciprocal cross (humboldtii x alpina) was made in Germany years ago and was obviously different enough from the humbo parent to be called right out of the gate. However, if you have ever grown large numbers of alpina from seed (like I have) you know they are very pleomorphic. I was not comfortable making that call until they bloomed. And I never got the chance before I sent them away when I moved. I hope someone does and posts (whether the cross worked or not)

Utricularia Quelchii x Utricularia Praetermissa...

...Utricularia cv. JITKA

These are the same cross :bigthumpup:

You'ld have to do some international trading to get a lot of those. Which is a problem for most of us growers...

Not so. I would bet good money that you could pull off at least 80% if not more of that list within the borders of the US. It will take work, but as I said above...

Back