What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. graminifolia forms??????

Is anyone growing more than 1 form of U. graminifolia and had the oppertunity to compair flowers? I am just curious as I have seen blue, pink, and purple flowered forms listed on grow lists etc and I am wondering if they are truely seperate clones or maybe just different conditions or perceptions of color?

U. graminifolia flowers are a myth. It does not flower ;)

I wish I could help you but I can not make this stuff flower, cover my living room floor with a nice vush carpet, sure no problem. I have grown easily over 4 square feet of the stuff and not 1 flower.

I have seen alot of flower colors listed but nothing saying they were from difference locations or clones. Although to be fair until I get a flower I'm not really looking for another one.

i've got the purple and blue forms and i'd say it's safe to say that they are both different colors. i even have them growing side by side. i'll take a pic of it when i get home. i dont know if i have the pink form though.

i think there is a pic of the pinkish flowered ones in the Savage Garden, by Peter D.

Wonder why i can get mine to bloom. My days are not as long as RSS. But i think my lights are off before the sun sets in the summer and on after dark in the winter. Maybe i got enough difference in day length because my room is influenced by the the natural day length.....

MTF

really? gramminifolia is hard to bloom?

purple flower:
RSCN3172.jpg

blue flower:
graminifolia-blue-flower.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mobile, how warm do you keep your plants? Taylor indicates that U. graminifolia flowers year round when conditions are suitable. I wounder if the confusion over the flowering triggers of U. graminifolia come from different clones having slightly different triggers? Based on U. graminifolia's range and the altitude it is found at, my guess is that really wet and hot conditions would get it to flower... I have currently had mine only a month or so, but if I remember right, in my previous collection it flowered constantly in summer and randomly at other times. I kept mine very warm and humid, but no wetter than my other terrestrial Utrics.

kayaker---i've kept both of my UG on windowsills---next to the highland nepenthes and the temps dropped down to the low forties this winter. the plants started blooming in the spring---perhaps there are photoperiod/temporal cues that tell the plant it's time to bloom?

here's a shot of mine (i know shameless self promotion)
purple-pinkflower-gram.jpg

-Jon

Last edited:
I grow mine year round under grow-lights, with the same photo-period throughout. It's on my grow-shelf, which is at room temperature and humidity. As I live in Northern Scotland (Aberdeenshire), the temperatures never get particularly high. It flowers more prolifically in the summer so I think that temperature, rather than photo-period, play a bigger role. The best way I have found to get it to flower is to grow it as an emergent species. I grow in an un-drained container and add water to above the height of the leaves and re-water when it reaches the level of the soil. I have found that when the pot gets over-crowded then flower production slows down, so I repot a small section at the start of spring.

Back