What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blooming longifolia in net pot

:hail:

long.jpg

My U. longifolia in all her glory
Av

If it weren't for the flowers, I could have sworn that that was a Pteris fern......

:drool:

Sweet. is this the short leaved form? I don't understand what the differences are....

Kula,

I have no idea mate

LOL

holy ****!! thats one beautiful utric. dang!! looks like an orchid

Good golly miss Molly! That's a beaut for sure. Well done butch.

Dayumm!

That's definitely the best grown longifolia I've ever seen.

Fantastic! share some growing tips/secrets please?! please?

Loverly!

I like how the moss & leaves hides the pot making it appear more like a stump with the plants growing on it instead of in it. How long has it been growing in this pot to get colonized in this density?

What a beautiful display!

Thanks for the kind words
:)

Fantastic! share some growing tips/secrets please?! please?

8, no big secrets mate.... Its in a net pot with live sphag, and sits in about an inch of water but the net pot keeps it from staying too wet IMHO

Loverly!

I like how the moss & leaves hides the pot making it appear more like a stump with the plants growing on it instead of in it. How long has it been growing in this pot to get colonized in this density?

Less then a year swords, maybe 6 months
Here is the same plant last year:
U_longifolia1.jpg

I need to get a net pot :0o:

I need to get a net pot :0o:
While U. longifolia will probably enjoy the pot, that may not necessarily be a good thing. Utrics, in general, like to spread themselves around as much as possible but as B. Rice notes in his U. tridentata description (in section Foliosa w/ longifolia):
Like the others in this group of species, this is invasive in carnivorous plant terraria or greenhouses, so be careful about where you put it.
I have one tank which I have cleaned 'all' of the longifolia from twice, only to have it reappear months later. Mine now enjoy a windowsill where they are somewhat less likely to invade their neighbor's pots....(& still flowering after ~2.5 months!!)

Funny enough, mine didn't flower until I put it in a glass pot similar to that. Then again, it's invaded 3 terrariums, which I now put under my neps (well away from them) to provide additional humidity). There they get the slightest amount of sun and guess what... they're flowering too - where no one can see them unless you bend down to look inside. Your display is nothing short of stunning though! :)

While U. longifolia will probably enjoy the pot, that may not necessarily be a good thing. Utrics, in general, like to spread themselves around as much as possible but as B. Rice notes in his U. tridentata description (in section Foliosa w/ longifolia)

It won't be near anything but U.nelumbifolia, so the two can battle it out :-))

Wow Butch that is jaw dropping! Thanks for sharing the pics!

There's the fishbowl! That's how I'm growing my longifolia after seeing your pic some time ago (a year I suppose). Is it possible for it to choke itself out confined in a fishbowl? Mine is very densely packed, to remove it I'd have to cut out hunks of it to remove it or bust the glass. But I'd rather divide it then loose it to overcrowding.

Mine become so dense i had to rip it out in chunks... that is when she went into the net pot. It was still healthy but it was obviously a dense ball of woven root.

Thanks for the tips and show !

Back