What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is U. dunlopii in cultivation?

It's little, it's kinda ugly and I want it but I have never seen it mentioned anywhere but in the photos here:

http://www.cpphotofinder.com/utricularia-dunlopii-183.html

The flowers remind me of Pleurothallid orchids.

If you have it I'll definitely trade you something cool for a piece of it. My neighbors flower picking kids, a kidney (as long as no are questions asked), cursed monkey paw...

It's little, it's kinda ugly and I want it but I have never seen it mentioned anywhere but in the photos here...
Oh, what a sheltered life ... :-))

Martin & Jens appear to grow it & get it to flower but getting seed is another issue ... and naturally it's an annual ...:headwall:

Oh, what a sheltered life ... :-))

Martin & Jens appear to grow it & get it to flower but getting seed is another issue ... and naturally it's an annual ...:headwall:

my understanding is the issue with that section of Utrics is that they are true annuals for the most part.......several commonly grown Utrics are annuals in the wild but in consistent conditions of cultivation they act like perennials......my understanding is these dont do that and if yah dont get seed you usually will not have plants the next year....

Nice links thanks! Still want to try it someday, outdoors maybe.

looks like a crazy alien plant. They came here and planted the seeds here years ago. Now they are growing up to wipe out our bug population.

I wouldn't mind adding this one to the grow list someday. Take a look at my grow list and see all the utrics on I've got incoming. I've got KT to thank for that one.. Made my utric day!

is it possible that these utrics behave similar to D. burmannii? that flowering induces death? has anyone snipped off the flowers to see if that allows the plant to continue to live?

I don't think flowers have such an effect as just natural death. Hmm...never owned an utric...I should get one.

well burntsnow, flowering especially for many small species and prove taxing for them because of the energy input needed to make these structures and produce viable seed. it is well known in cultivation in the case of Drosera burmannii that the plant dies if either 1) the flower stalk is not removed or 2) the plant isnt fed heavily during flowering/producing seed.

Well, Drosera burmanii will continue after flowering if conditions are optimal, but Utricularia dunlopii is a true annual which dies after flowering, or more often, before! I had it back in the 70's when a friend sent me some seed, I got one flowering scape but hand pollination failed for me and it was lost.

Back