What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting Genlisea leaf cuttings?

I'm getting a number of leaf cuttings of Genlisea aurea and 2 forms of G. hispidula and I was curious what would be the best way to start them? In Peat, live moss, floating in water...? Sorry if there's been a post about this before.

I would go with saturated live moss.

So just kinda like getting a Utric plug started then, I can handle that.

Do you have any Genlisea - are they pretty simple once established? Any of course, do they flower reliably indoors under glass?

Peat or peat and sand. It's easy as pie. If you lose the G. hispidula I've got them coming out my ears.
~Joe

I currently have G. hispidula and violacae. They are recent acquisitions. Back a few few years I have had Genlisea colonies flower.

This was G. lobata:

IMG_0019.jpg

This was G. hispidula:

IMG_0023.jpg

Cool they do bloom! :D

Do they bloom once a year or on and off?

Pics I've seen show rosetted clumps kind of like a Sempervium, are those young clumps who just haven't carpeted yet or do they stay mostly confined to the "mound" shape?

Mine bloom once they start to get rootbound, it seems. Photoperiod might also have something to do with it... I mostly just stick them in a corner and ignore them so I'm not entirely sure. But once they do get to blooming, they don't seem to stop until I repot them. When mine were in competition with moss and the like they stayed rosetted, but these days I have a few pots that have been totally carpeted. At least one was a pot where I threw all the broken-off leaves and such after a big repotting, so that might explain why they're so prolific in there.
~Joe

Sounds good to me! :D

Frequency of blooms depends on the species. I tended to find hispidula and violacea were pretty regular bloomers while pygmea, repens and lobata would only go once per year.

I tended to find that they did better in a peat/sand mix but that may have just been my conditions.

Most will strike well from leaves but I preferred to keep them on just damp moss rather than saturated moss, the latter just seemed to have higher loss rates

Thanks, I had planted the leaf pulls like when I'm trying to establish a utric (just flooded to the soil surface) but I have poured off the excess water after reading your note. We'll see how they go.

Ground live moss from the food blender is the best medium to start cuttings. Mine regularly bloomed in the spring, G. violacaea almost all year.

Back