What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquatic Utrics

Question 1: What kind of substrate is best for aquatic utrics to help them flower?

HOORAY! My U. inflata is making some bladders!

100_4871.jpg

Question 2: These black 'seed' looking things appeared over night. I did some research and couldn't figure out what they are. Bladders..?
U. gibba

100_4869.jpg

Those black things are the bladders themselves. They are either filled with food or the bladders died

They just formed in the past day or two.. They can die off just that quickly? Up until today the gibba was in pretty murky water. Could it just be filled with icky-ness?

MM, they are most likely dead bladders or the "ickiness", as you called it. Are you giving it the right conditions? And what's that setup you have? I'm thinking about getting an U. Gibba.

They were in the same tray of water as the inflata. Which as you can see, is doing great! You can see it in the water on the right there..

100_4738.jpg

Nice. Maybe I should just get a big pot and add it to that? And it's the murky water that caused them to turn black. I bet they sucked in some peat.

@burnt: that is quite possible. the traps are purely mechanical, not as complex as the vft which requires two triggers touched to activate--any stimulus would cause the bladder to suck in any nearby particulate.

And it's the murky water that caused them to turn black. I bet they sucked in some peat.

Then why are the bladders on the inflata so nice looking? The inflata has actually been in that water longer than the gibba has..

Hmm, perhaps different conditions must be met? The bladders may be dying.

@mm: well it looks like you've got debris at the bottom of your gibba tank. and it looks spotless at the bottom of your inflata tank. makes sense that the gibba sucks up the particulates.

Nice catch, amphirion. I didn't notice that.

I just use bog water and muck:

Picture003-22.jpg

Picture023-3.jpg

@mm: well it looks like you've got debris at the bottom of your gibba tank. and it looks spotless at the bottom of your inflata tank. makes sense that the gibba sucks up the particulates.

Your just seeing through the bottom of the container.. there's nothing in the bottom of each. I moved both to those clean water containers yesterday, and the black spots are gone today.

Nice job with the inflata, Mass! Soon you'll have so much you'll spread the gift around. ;)

Nice job with the inflata, Mass! Soon you'll have so much you'll spread the gift around. ;)

God I hope so.. There's twice the bladders today than there was yesterday! It seems to really be happy.
On a side note, should I be keeping my aquatics outdoors so they can get food?

You can put them outside in a shady location and hope they get some natural prey but you may just end up farming algae instead. :(

I like Jim's idea of using actual pond water, it would have all sorts of little critters in it. I got a wad of U gibba in the mail the other day and I put it in a "deathcube" full of R/O water (no substrate) and it has black traps but they are expelling the black particles a little every day so they are becoming clearer, not sure if they're dead critters or peat or what exactly. ???

I did see some "things" running around exploring the expelled trap contents running across the "tank" floor so maybe whatever they are will breed and feed the gibba.

hmmm.. interesting. Mine is actually doing the same thing. I thought the black bladders had turned clear overnight, but I was mistaken. But now they are slowly getting a bit more clear each day. I like the pond water idea. Guess it's I'll go for a walk tomorrow.

Back