What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pond scum

Cindy

Staff member
Three different forms of Aldrovanda - they are relatively new to me and I am trying different ways to keep them growing nicely
aldrovanda_1.jpg

aldrovanda_2.jpg

aldrovanda_3.jpg

U. striata - should be grown as an affixed sub-aquatic but is currently just floating in water
utric_mess.jpg

utric_mess_1.jpg

Seriously, I never thought Utrics can be interestingly until I noticed that the growing tips were turning black!
utric_colour.jpg

Upon closer look...:boogie:
utric_23072010_3.jpg

Cool pics! I just LOVE pics of Aldrovanda.

They look so nice and clean! I've got Aldrovanda & U. gibba sharing a 10 gallon fishtank, on the porch, along with token bog plants and bog muck:

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture005-14.jpg

Picture003-22.jpg

Picture001-25.jpg

Picture032-1.jpg

Super cool! I want to try these now...

Excellent pics Cindy. I love the red hued Utric!

Jim, Aldrovanda in America wow! I've never known of anyone who had it. Is it easy or Does it need a dormancy?

Actually, there are hobbyists here who grow them... Doug Darnowski, Rich Sivertson, and Steve Druggins come to mind. There are probably more. I am brand new to Aldrovanda, so I'm not the best to ask. Elgecko also had Aldrovanda a few years ago.

More pics. :bigthumpup:

The utric arrived like this.
utric_17062010.jpg

About 2 weeks later.
utric_03072010.jpg

Side "shoots" producing red bladders.
utric_23072010.jpg

utric_23072010_2.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

Jimscott,

I do have some Aldrovanda with utrics and they seem to like each other. Could you describe your set-up please? I grow my pond scum in plastic takeaway containers! At the moment...until I find a place big enough with bright light.

It's just an ordinary 10 gallon fishtank. I scooped up the sediment and plopped it in there. I also uprooted a "cattail" plants and some other prevalent bog weed and tossed in there. I use water from the bog. That's it.

Picture010-2.jpg
Weed Flower

Picture007-13.jpg
Bog Summer

Picture002-14.jpg
Bog Spring

So are they just getting natural sunlight I assume?

From east to west, all natural.

Jim, I really love this all natural setup (my woods has bogs and creeks all over). Do you do water changes with fresh bog water or just top up the evaporation with R/O or let the level rose and fall with rain...?

Also, have you noticed any critters in the water? I assume there has to be some aquatic things helping feed the plants if the water and muck comes from the bog.

Any form of circulation like an air stone or mini pump?

Sorry I just had to ask it all at once! LOL

I just top off with saved bog water and rain. There are also lots of mosquito larvae in there. I don't use an airstone.

Only reason I ask is "still water" always seems to develop a sort of slick on it in my vivariums.

There is a small sheen on the surface. Not sure why or how it got there. Must be human activity.

Thanks, jimscott. Is your Aldrovanda the Australian form?

I have three different ones and the growing tips look different though the plants are grown in very similar conditions.

aldrovanda_a1.jpg

aldrovanda_a2.jpg

aldrovanda_a3.jpg

very cool ol' wise one from the east

:hail:

Thanks, jimscott. Is your Aldrovanda the Australian form?

I have three different ones and the growing tips look different though the plants are grown in very similar conditions.

I really don't know. I'll have to look into that. Insectrap sent them to me.

Jim, I really love this all natural setup (my woods has bogs and creeks all over). Do you do water changes with fresh bog water or just top up the evaporation with R/O or let the level rose and fall with rain...?

Also, have you noticed any critters in the water? I assume there has to be some aquatic things helping feed the plants if the water and muck comes from the bog.

Any form of circulation like an air stone or mini pump?

Sorry I just had to ask it all at once! LOL

I'd think i'd be of some help too, since I own a 5 gallon Sterilite container where I grow my aquatic utrics.

For the first question, I let it fall and rise with the rain, it is up to the top right now since it has been raining daily for the last few days.

At first, I filled it with distilled water and mixed with peat, unicycled and empty of bacteria. There is now a daphnia culture in there that feed the plants. I think they came from the rain.

No circulation,

I just started raining while I was typing this, it was sunny a few minutes ago. :-D My sarrs aren't liking it, newly opened pitchers on red plants are entirely green instead of the normal pinkish tint they get before coloring up.

I had part of them in a Sterilit container, at the mouth of an outfall that fed the bog near us. Unfortunately, the birds kept getting into everything and I lost those plants, as well as my Cephalotus, some D. macrantha tubers, nearly killing the U. alpina, cobra lilys, and essentially killing my Heli. Nice idea... failed miserably.

Picture002-14.jpg

Picture001-3.jpg

Very difficult to grow as a container plant, and I had little success. Best plan is to grow with associated flora and fauna as in a balanced aquarium setting. That bog spring looks very possible, this is how Phill Sheridan grows them at Meadowview, and the pond was thick with them. Good luck to you all, it really is a great plant. Beautiful photo's too, nice looooooooooong strands that need to stay long. If they start shrinking in length it isn't good.

Jim, I hate birds!!!

Back