What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thats not an alpina............this is an alpina

grown from seed from 'Pitter Moon', could have mistook it for livida for the first 18 months i had it....bout 2 years ago it hit a growth spurt, sent up a flower spike bout a month ago, opened the flower late last week.....

DSCF2384.jpg

DSCF2385.jpg

Neat-o! That flower is huge!

Wowza - insanely gorgeous (& huge) flower! How large are the leaves?

Good work man! I second Ron on you should show the plant :p

rattler, you're making seed, right? RIGHT?

hahaha. i'd love to get my hands on some alpina. what's the difference between the typical and 'Pitter Moon'?

the typical is alot smaller, 'Pitter Moon' and apparently seed from it are quite a bit bigger........not sure if it will self for seed as ive got nothing else is flowering, Pyro will have to chime in....

as for pics of the whole plant, given the size disparety between the leaves i have to think it aint done getting bigger yet
DSCF2386.jpg

DSCF2387.jpg

the leaves out of the bottom left of the pot on the bottom pic is closer to the size of my "normal" alpina clone thats much older than this plant

Andy needs a jaw dropping smilie. that is one huge plant! and lovely flowers....
i finally get a peak at your growspace setup. my life is complete :mwahaha:

nothing special bout my setup......think backwater(we dont have no woods) redneck meets tornado.....the wife keeps telling me i need to clean it up....messy as hell....the only thing you will pick up from looking at my setup is that im a firm believer in cheap as possible T8's for lighting and i dont subscribe to everything has to be right next to the lights for best growth.....ive got mexican pings a good 14 plus inches from the bulbs......

Excellent job, rattler. The subtle beauty of Utricularia. That's probably one of the most beautiful CPs I've seen in a while.

xvart.

How in the world did you get that thing to flower?

the typical is alot smaller, 'Pitter Moon' and apparently seed from it are quite a bit bigger........

Yes, PM is a significantly larger than normal clone and, by growing and flowering these seed out, Rattler has proven it to be a genetic giant and not just that the original plant was a fluke monster.

not sure if it will self for seed as ive got nothing else is flowering, Pyro will have to chime in....

This plant will self easily. Like most every alpina clone I have come across, it will even self pollinate without human intervention, though seed set will be higher when it gets helped along. One small word of warning for you Rattler, once you pollinate, the bloom will drop in about 24-48 hours, so enjoy it while it lasts.

as for pics of the whole plant, given the size disparety between the leaves i have to think it aint done getting bigger yet

It will get much larger. Leaves regularly over 30cm long are normal for this clone.

How in the world did you get that thing to flower?

no freaking clue......did move it to a spot with a lil less light than the orginal spot but the regular alpina clone got moved too and didnt flower and it wasnt much of a change in light intensity, basically mover a few more inches away from the same sorta lights......i honestly thought it was still growing and not big enough yet to flower given the pics i have seen of the parent plant......

thanks for chiming in Pyro.....

Do you have any tips on humidity? It's 25% usually around me.........

think my humidity peaks at 60% unless water gets spilled or leaks over the basement floor but those are accidents and not often......should always be above 35% in my setup.....im sure it could handle lower if acclimated, the leaves are fairly thick and tough even in the smaller clones if not grown to soft....

Great!! I just need to find a spot................... So do you put sphagnum at the bottom the terrarium?

its in an open tray in a greenhouse sorta thing in my basement which is why the humidity is lower than alot of ppls setups.....for me a terrarium in general CP growing is for hardening off small plants.....my alpina is in a bare bottom tray that my larger neps sit in.......add water when the tray bottom feels dry.....

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

one thing i think has helped my growing of these types of Utrics and others have told me they copied the technique and had success is that i use pots that allow air in the sides and the plants to grow out the sides of the pot if they want....

with this alpina its a pot made out of coir as i picked up a some of these pots awhile back.....they work fine but deteriorate in the wetter enviro faster than i would like and dont plan to continue their use in the future....

in the past and what others have told me they have copied is taking a normal, fairly tall, plastic pot and cut holes in the sidesto allow the air flow and the plant to grow out....net pots used to grow water lilies in ponds and such should work real well too....

as to why i think this works, it allows the plant to choose the moisture level it is most happy with in your specific conditions, the higher up in the pot the drier the medium gets......in a wetter enviro it will prolly choose higher up in the pot, if drier farther down in the pot the media stays wetter.....

for example endresii likes the top of the pots where alpina with its hardier growth basically pics all levels in my conditions.....

but thats just my observations and thoughts....

Thnx

one thing i think has helped my growing of these types of Utrics and others have told me they copied the technique and had success is that i use pots that allow air in the sides and the plants to grow out the sides of the pot if they want....

I can do this!

What size pot is that?

Back