What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

couple pics

U. humboldtii
humboldtii1.jpg

humboldtii2.jpg

U.nelumbifolia
nelumbifolia1.jpg

U. quelchii
quelchii1.jpg

(top dressed with LFS to keep carpet moss under control)

Thanks for looking
Av

OMG. those are some NICE plants! my quelchii ( i dunno anymore--i give up) is no where as dark green as yours!

Thanks Amp, they do seem happy...

Very awesome pics, Butch!

Very nice!
What is the soil mix you're using for the humboldtii?

3/2/1/1 APS/live sphag/cypress mulch/peat

The dew, or misting is a nice touch!

Awesome utrics! :)
In what kind of conditions do you grow the Quelchii ?

That's a nice Utric nelumbifolia you've got there - do you keep it submerged, or treat it like your U.longifolia? I keep mine submerged in a tub of water with lfs and live moss for show...

That's a nice Utric nelumbifolia you've got there - do you keep it submerged, or treat it like your U.longifolia? I keep mine submerged in a tub of water with lfs and live moss for show...

Thez, actually ... it is niether submerged nor am I using the tray method.... just in a net pot sitting the rach with everything else. The longifolia is the only one I am using the tray method with.

Awesome utrics! :)
In what kind of conditions do you grow the Quelchii ?

Tal,
about 20c summer/10c winter... no night/day variance to speak of... just seasonal
85%-ish RH
Watering every couple days
Monthly Trichoderma atrovirdie application
Aquatic plant net pot
3/2/1/1 APS/Live sphag/Cypress bark/peat substrate with a top dressing of Live sphag to keep the carpet moss under control.
Located on the lower shelf of plant rack so lighting is just a little less intense (relatively speaking of course)

HTH's
Butch

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122025

Nice stuff there butch. How long does it take for quelchii to go from the tricolor-esque baby leaves to those larger more paddle shaped leaves? Has yours bloomed or is it still a youngster yet?

Here is my "quelchii"
uquelchii2.jpg

Now has a whopping 3 leaves grows far far slower than tricolor. Someday it's going to be mounted on a mossy branch but I have a feeling it's gonna be years...
quelchii2.jpg

Nice stuff there butch. How long does it take for quelchii to go from the tricolor-esque baby leaves to those larger more paddle shaped leaves? Has yours bloomed or is it still a youngster yet?

Here is my "quelchii"
uquelchii2.jpg

Now has a whopping 3 leaves grows far far slower than tricolor. Someday it's going to be mounted on a mossy branch but I have a feeling it's gonna be years...
quelchii2.jpg

I've only had mine a couple months so I'm not going to be much help as far as growth characteristics go. When I got it, it had two tiny leaves... but both of those looked much like the larger ones you see now.

I've looked at all the examples in the cp photo finder, I just dunno ???
Av

i seriously am beginning to suspect that most quelchii in the US is not the real deal, but more along the lines of U. tricolor. all i want to see is a quelchii flower coming out of a pot that has leaves similar looking to mine.

of course, im not going to make a bold accusation since 1) i am not a prominent member of the CP community, 2) not a utricularia / orchidioides expert, 3) could be (very) wrong.

i've been asking around from site to site and have gotten no replies. i have a few questions:
1) does anybody know if quelchii has a differing juvenile and adult leaves?
2) how long does it take for quelchii to produce adult leaves
3) does anybody have photos of growth in progress for quelchii?

i dont want to hijack this thread, so please leave your responses here: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121015

much appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
quelchii seems happy

U. quelchii
quelchii1.jpg

(top dressed with LFS to keep carpet moss under control)

Thanks for looking
Av

today:
IMG_2040sm.jpg

quelchii seems very happy :)

I would support U, tricolor as a possibility but feel U. quelchii is much different from what I see here. I didn't grow mine from seed, so I'm not aware how the plant develops, but mature U. quelchii has thick leathery lollons, vs the thinner lollons of U. tricolor.

Butch, really nice plants!!! I also discovered cypress mulch which is a very good additive to most CP mixes d/t it's natural antiseptic qualities. I think I may have underestimated the usefulness of trichoderma when I used to grow these plants. You are a fine grower!

Butch, really nice plants!!! I also discovered cypress mulch which is a very good additive to most CP mixes d/t it's natural antiseptic qualities. I think I may have underestimated the usefulness of trichoderma when I used to grow these plants. You are a fine grower!

Thanks Tamlin,
I am honored :hail:
Butch

butch , please stop this , your making me loose my concentration , I wont start collecting utrics, I wont start collecting utrics, I wont start collecting utrics, i could start collecting utrics , i might start collecting utrics,
I MUST COLLECT UTRICS !
is there an L in utrics ?:blush:

hey Butch, i got a couple of questions for ya:
1) what conditions do you grow your quelchii in?
2) specifically, how often do you water your qulechii, or do you use the tray method?

I use "pyro's utric mix"
3/2/1/1 APS/live sphag/cypress mulch/peat
no tray, net basket, watering every other day
monthly trichoderma/monthly root feeding
Lower shelf of my plant rack.... HL conditions but no day/night drop.... typical high 60's with 85% humidity

Butch

Back