What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In my little weedy section of Utrics (non-Orchidioides), I have several that have yet to share their flowers with me. I have read about some methods which include flooding, drying out, repotting and changing photoperiod. I would like to hear from some folks who have successfully flowered any of the following species and what conditions you had that may have contributed to the flowering:

- U. warburgii
- U. uniflora
- U. pubescens (haven't gotten one yet but hopefully will in near future)

I'll add

- U. tricolor and
- U. praelonga

just to hear if anyone in the US has even flowered them.... :-O :-D

U. warburgii and U. uniflora flowered for me with lil effort just being in good light and kept wet but not flooded...

and i do not believe tricolor flowers and i do not care what the euro guys and jimscott say......they are liars....i tortured this plant with every suggestion given to me and it never flowered.....course i also discovered in the process that other than for a bone dry period lasting over a week or freezing solid it is dang hard to kill this plant....

dont think i flowered the other two and if i did nothing special was done to get them to......

i had tricolor put up a flower stalk and it aborted blooming. It did so right after I got it. Crystal sent me a starter and it grew easily, tried to flower. Beginning to think it needs to be shocked sort of drastically (cool to warm ) or something. I have some set up outside to test for the next year. Should be able to get down to the 40's over night and then have it warm up or something like that......

I actually had U. warburgii and U. tricolor for me, once. I would attribute it to being "dumb luck". but what usually works is shipping a portion off to someone else who has better luck, skill, and equipment than me

U. warburgii and U. uniflora were no problem for me either, the latter seemed to flower best after a winter's rest just above freezing. U. warburgii might respond to seasonal drying out as a trigger. Once flowering is done the rosettes that produced the flowers inevitably died, so if yours does flower be sure to divide some as this seemed to restart the show.

A friend in the UK told me he had discarded a pot of U. pubescens, just threw it out of the GH and when he found it under some leaf litter in the spring it was in full flower. This didn't work for me, and I have never flowered this species. I have a hunch that U. praelonga might have similar needs, but nothing I ever did worked. I flowered U. tricolor back in the 70's in a terrarium with lots of lights above and partial sun as well. I was a newbie back then, so I guess it was beginners luck as it never happened again and I made it a special project. I drowned it, dried it, froze it, fertilized it, prayed over it and it just sat there and laughed in my face.

From 2006, the year of the Utric flowers:

IMG_0003.jpg
U. warburgii

Back