What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified grassy leaved Orchidioides Utric.

I have this "unidentified" Orchidioides section Utricularia which seems to be doing quite well in intermediate conditions. Here are some pics:

uspnoidorchid1.jpg

uspnoidorchid2.jpg

uspnoidorchid3.jpg

And because someone will say it, here is a pic of my U. praelonga coming back after a change in location (along with some volunteer D. sp. "jacoby" seedlings)

praelonga1.jpg

So does anyone else have this grassy leaved Orchidioides sp.? Any clue as to species or maybe a pic of the flower? Mine is starting to climb the twig along with the moss so If I get enough I will try it mounted in a vivarium on a mossy branch.

Nobody else got this from the author DD? ???

Sold labled as "Unidentified Orchidioides section, grassy leaves"

Is there a utric other than U. praelonga that has those leaves? :scratch:

yeah i saw that on his sale list as well.
could be more of a hybrid than a species.
i suspect parentage using Utricularia endresii and/or jamesoniana

Why do you think it is an Orchidioides? Have you seen tubers?

How vigorous is it? Do you flood it occasionally?

yeah i saw that on his sale list as well.
could be more of a hybrid than a species.
i suspect parentage using Utricularia endresii and/or jamesoniana

endresii leaves aint all that much thinner than a standard alpina......praelongia is the only thing i can think of with leaves like that, when i grew it it put out leaves that long....

Jeff the only thing I can say is that it was sold as "Unidentified Orchidioides section, grassy leaves". I really don't know any more than that - that's why I'm askin'! :D

I got it as a very small piece maybe 5 leaves and a few roots. It grows at a speed comparable to longifolia I suppose if I were to compare it to something. I would say my praelonga is slower than whatever this is. I do occasionally flood it to moss level, let it sit a day or two then dump out the excess water and basically just keep the moss/habitat very moist & humid.

Does anybody have a form of U. praelonga that has small leaves that stand up? Mine lay flat against the soil and are pretty wide and blunt ended (see last pic). Whatever this is the short leaves stand up and are skinnier and have pointy tips. I don't have any of the long praelonga leaves currently due to moving the plant to a new location (from outside to in) but IIRC praelongas are rounded (terete) and grow very long (like 1-2 feet) the long leaves on this thing are flat like a ribbon and not nearly as long - only about 7".

the praeloga i grew had two leaves, ones that were shorter and held close to the soil and ones that got 5 or 6 inches long and were held vertical like grass.....

every orchidioides ive grown has had leaves fairly close to alpina.....may have been smaller or narrower or wider or whatever but they all had a paddle shape.....

Does anybody have a form of U. praelonga that has small leaves that stand up?
Here's a pic of my U. praelonga some months ago. Now that I keep it more wet, it is very happy & has mostly the long skinny leaves.

Looks just like my praelonga..

100_0101.jpg

The thing is our praelongas short leaves are spread against the ground in all of our pics. This plant's shorties are standing up, none of the short leaves are reclining on this plant and are much thinner than praelongas short leaves by about 1/3. Leaf color is much darker on praelonga as well and they grow under the same T5s. Does anyone have a praelonga with skinny short leaves that all stand up?

Perhaps this thing is a hybrid of longifolia x praelonga ??? Wouldn't be an orchidioides but would be something. LOL

The thing is our praelongas short leaves are spread against the ground in all of our pics. This plant's shorties are standing up, none of the short leaves are reclining on this plant and are much thinner than praelongas short leaves by about 1/3. Leaf color is much darker on praelonga as well and they grow under the same T5s. Does anyone have a praelonga with skinny short leaves that all stand up?
When I first started to grow mine, I grew it on the dry side and it had none of the grassy leaves. After several months, a few of the longer leaves appeared. Since learning of its identity & member of section Foliosa, I have given it much wetter conditions and it has produced 95% grassy leaves and only a few of the smaller wide ones.

I recommend taking a small piece and growing it in somewhat drier conditions and see how it develops. I suspect that it will confirm that it's a U. praelonga.

Any chance you swapped labels and the small plant in your 2nd pic is the Orchidioides? :scratch:

Any chance you swapped labels and the small plant in your 2nd pic is the Orchidioides?

The first 3 images are all of the one labeled as "unidentified" the last one in the green pot with peat & grit is praelonga, it's been on my patio for almost a year and was brought indoors after the cube was planted.

I've cut out a small clump of this and put it in a pot of LFS that will be kept moist but not on a tray so we'll see what happens with it in a drier condition.

Could be a longifolia cross, I guess... Looks like a messed up longifolia.

Good luck IDing it. You should have flowers soon judging by the size of it!

If it weren't for those tubers I would unquestionably name this as U. praelonga. Actually, I still would make this call. There is a lot of variability within a species. There are some forms of U. dichotoma I have grown that also form tubers, so it's not too far of a stretch to assume the same may be possible for U. praelonga although I have never grown such. Probably a more detailed look at the actual bladder traps might be helpful in confirming or denying that determination if anyone owns a copy of Taylor's monograph to compare them with. This is a good topic and I hope you will keep us updated as to future findings.

I have Taylor's Utricularia in my storage locker but I no longer have a microscope.

Back