What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What terrestrial Utrics can grow submersed under water, permanently?

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Hey guys, I was wondering what terrestrial Utricularia (or even Genlisea) can grow under water, permanently? I know that U. graminifolia can grow submersed permanently and it is now a popular aquarium plant!

Can anyone give me any info on utrics that grow well under water? I am not looking for aquatic utricularia that can grow attached and grow as rheophytes, like U. volubilis (IIRC), but I am looking for terrestrial utricularia that are usually grown in pots with media, but can when totally submersed in water.

I do not mean utrics that can tolerate occasional flooding and temporary submersion, but rather utrics that can grow under water permanently.

Here is a picture of U. graminifolia growing underwater in nutrient-rich substrate. It grows REALLY fast!

http://img232.imageshack.us/i/img5929wp7.jpg

As you can see, the submerged photosynthetic stolons are totally different than the emersed photosynthetic stolons. It's elongated and sort of waves with the current like a field of wheat.

I'm hoping dichotoma so I can get the stuff out of my pots and into my tanks. ;)

You may want to consider utrics that are lithophytes. I know dichotoma enjoys flooding (even for weeks), but I don't know if it will survive permanently under water. Lithophytes do well in flowing water where is good gas exchange.

-Hermes.

If you have some various terrestrial utric species on hand just take a pinch and try it. With the CO2 injection and bright lighting on your tank you likely have a better shot at acclimating it than someone like me just putting some in Flourite at the bottom of a 6" fish bowl and crossing their fingers.

Lol, I like the way you said the part about putting fluorite in a dfish bowl and crossing your fingers lol.

I have no utrics, I never got into them, anyone have spare U. dichotoma?

I'll list the ones that have grown into the water and stay underwater, I have not tried to grow these underwater by intent the plant itself went there.

U. sandersonii 'blue' - Oddly enough only the 'blue' clone not the typical sandersonii's, the underwater portion has a bit of algea with it but its been submerged for 6+ months.

U. longifolia - umm yea the "root" mass and smaller leaves are completely submerged. Larger leaves grow out.

U. graminifolia - duh.

The U. quelchii/tricolor plant that is being passed around - I am growing some divisions of this plant completetly submerged and some of my main plants sent runners into the water to grow leaves. 2+ months

These are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. I'll add more this weekend when watering if I find anymore.

Back