What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone tried Utricularia nephrophylla as a Lithophyte?

I'm about to get some new tank space and was wondering what to grow in it. Well I've been growing U. nephrophylla very successfully as an emergent aquatic for some time but it is listed alot of places as a Lithophyte in nature.

So that brings the question, has anyone tried with success or failure to grow this plant as a Lithophyte?

Might be my next project.

would probably require high humidity levels to make sure the plant doesnt dry out as it establishes itself. i've seen it grow in live sphag, in sphag slurries, as well as in peat. seems like a pretty versatile plant to me. give it a shot ;)

Yeah, go with high humidity. Maybe pour water over it several times a day, cause in the wild it looks like utric lithophytes usually have like a little bit of water trickling over them. but using a pump or something to do this probably isn't a good idea cause recycled water gets nasty fast.

Yeah, go with high humidity. Maybe pour water over it several times a day, cause in the wild it looks like utric lithophytes usually have like a little bit of water trickling over them. but using a pump or something to do this probably isn't a good idea cause recycled water gets nasty fast.

Something like an IV drip might work well. A few drops an hour should be enough to keep it moist/wet in an enclosed tank.

Would you really need high humidity with the rock base being moist/wet constantly? I'll end up with 60%+ by default I figure.

@RSS: sphagnum holds a lot of water for a good period of time. that could be a good medium to use for a while until the plant establishes itself. i would place the plant on the surface of whatever you're growing it on, and place sphag over it to hold it in place. be sure to allow some leaves to be visible to provide photosynthesis. like i said, for my lithophytes i have them directly in front of the ultrasonic fogger, so the fog as well as the water flung out by the fogger keeps it wet. duration of the fogger is 5 minutes every hour.

Back