What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Utricularia blooming for me now

Wow, cool. That's not a plant you see every day. Didn't even realize it was available in cultivation.

Oldie but goodie. U.longifolia

DSC_0002_093.jpg

DSC_0006_086.jpg

'Very nice shots. I have understood that increasing photo-period length is what triggers this one and so I'm cutting back the hours in hopes mine will bloom when I add more time. Do you have some other trigger for yours?

Growing outside so harder to say if based on light cycle or minimum temps. Do get flowers fall to spring

Doesn't U. nelumbifolia usually have two yellow stripes like the one in your avatar?

Mu U. longifolia just started putting up a flower spike about a week and a half ago.

Doesn't U. nelumbifolia usually have two yellow stripes like the one in your avatar?
Mark,
If you look closely at the 1st two pics, you can just see the 2nd eye-stripe.

I have understood that increasing photo-period length is what triggers this one and so I'm cutting back the hours in hopes mine will bloom when I add more time. Do you have some other trigger for yours?
My U. longifolia grows under metal halide lighting all year round, with the same photoperiod every day, and it is just starting to put up flowers stalks.

My U. longifolia grows under metal halide lighting all year round, with the same photoperiod every day, and it is just starting to put up flowers stalks.

You might have the sweet spot. They bloomed for me once inside. After that never again..... Outside is like clockwork

Those flowers look so lovely!

You might have the sweet spot. They bloomed for me once inside. After that never again..... Outside is like clockwork
I agree. Carl has something special going on in his setups. I grew them for years under lights - nothing. In the window - clockwork. (That's also why there are two forms of reniformis (one recently flowered for 1st time) and a humboldtii crowding that window).

Carl - do your temps vary by season? :scratch:

Carl - do your temps vary by season? :scratch:
The plant is in the house, which has central heating, but the heating in that room is turned off - so it'll just get ambient heat from the surrounding rooms. The central heating is off at night, so during winter months there will be a temperature drop. This plant flowers like crazy, usually from spring and throughout the summer.

Thanks for pointing out the second stripe guys. I see it now.

I grow under artificial lights but have always used seasonal variations in the photoperiod. Maybe I shouldn't. :)

Back