What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Floating aquatics for tropical terrarium?

Hey folks I'm developing a plan for a semi aquatic tank and I'm curious if there is a floating Utric species (preferably larger traps) or form of Aldrovanda that can live in a tropical vivarium year round and not need cool temps to form turions & go dormant?

you should try your "quelchii" ;)

but in seriousness, you should check out U. biloba, U. fulva can as well---mine grows in soil, but spreads out over the water.

I want something more substantial along the lines of U. inflata or Aldrovanda with the surface floating structures cos I want to get some water surface dwelling fish in the paludarium I'm planning and want some neat floating plants. I have some gibba I resurrected from a tiny thread but I want something more meaty - and visible traps! :D

I actually planted all my tricolor & tricolor "quelchii" in my tabletop aquarium tonight. While unpotting the three pots I saw that the tri/quel does have meatier roots and bigger traps despite being grown in the same conditions (net pot of LFS). Anyway, I planted those in one corner, I thought I would have more runners but it only very sparsely populated a 4 x 4 area or so. I'd like to fill the extra areas in but I kinda wanna see just the tricolor fill it all in with short heart shaped leaves I think I've got a pretty neat mountain scene going in this tank. If I do plant anything else I probably will use the fulva cos I have quite a bit of it and would look like a nice "meadow" of short thin grass blades between the slabs of slate.

Back