What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
Hey all - check this out! I took a peek into my grow rack this morning to find that some D. nitidula x pulchella I ordered about two months ago were actually growing in Utricularia! I figured the leafy green stuff was a grass or moss since all of the pygmies I got from this place came growing in green stuff. I didn't think twice about it. But when I looked this morning, I saw a couple of gorgeous, tiny little flowers and I knew what it had to be!

I believe this is U. bisquamata based on the general (tiny) size of the flowers and their shape, but this is the first Utric flower I've ever seen in person so what do I know! Can anyone ID it?

1000000272.JPG

I also have U. sandersonii and U. longifolia that I got in a very generous trade with SDCPs (along with a host of other great plants) that have yet to flower. Loving these Utrics!

yes. it is bisquamata....watch out---it can/will invade all your other pots.

OK, good to know. Will it invade primarily through the base of other pots, or does it propagate itself in other/more mysterious ways? If the former, I have this pot isolated in a tray with my other pygmies, so in the worst case it will only spread to those.

It's not a bad thing that this stuff is growing with my D. nitidula x pulchella, is it?

seed dispersal primarily, but also through runners creeping out of the bottom of your pots. longifolia is pretty invasive as well. keep an eye out for those two.

i'd be careful with the pygmies as they can outcompete them by depriving space as well as light. if it were capensis or a larger plant, that wouldnt be a problem.

Back