What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calculating Cost of Shipping U. gibba

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I plan to ship a portion of U. gibba. I'm just not sure how much water should do with it and how much that affects the weight and thus the cost. Does anybody have experience in shipping an aquatic utric?

I have shipped it in just enough water to keep it wet, in a sealed plastic bag. And that inside another sealed bag. I figured that way it wouldn't be sloshing around so much, where it could break apart badly. Haven't had any problems, and have done it a few times.
Good Luck.

That also keeps the weight and cost down. I wasn't sure how much or little water was needed to safely ship a colony.

What GrowingOld said. I even got shipped U. inflata once in a cardboard tube with two moist baggies inside with just saran wrap around the thing so the baggies wouldn't fall out, it was shipped in tube-form with a sticker placed on it with addresses and all.

If you ship USPS priority flat rate, I believe it is 4.95 for anything under 70lbs provided it fits in the flat rate box. But I could be wrong. I never pay attention to weight and have never had to pay over standard rates.

I've shipped U.gibba several times. The way I do it is put it in a moist/almost wet paper towel in a ziplock bag. I don't think it matters how much it weighs if you use the priority $4.95 box.

Thanks, guys!

Back