Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question of survival

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question of survival

Hello everyone: I am getting a utricularia bisquamata and I want to make sure of its survival. Yes, i have done my research, I have a RO filter, a south window, and places to invade. I am just wondering about how it will invade and also whether it will grow well outside, Stocton CA.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

revision: Stockton, California Zone 9
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my limited experience with Utricularia, I have found that as long as they are constantly wet and above freezing and below say... 90 degrees, they should grow.

It could very well grow outside. I figure if a Utricularia can grown on my window ceil here, then it can probably grow outside anywhere in California.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an easy plant, having done well in a terrarium, grow rack, and window sill. It should do fine outside. It's as successful as U. subulata. but without the notoriety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarracenia21 View Post
    I am just wondering about how it will invade
    My understanding is that the plant spreads its tiny little seeds quite efficiently. While this trait may be one you enjoy, it is not welcome in my collection (except for the 'Betty's Bay' cultivar).

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    .... but without the notoriety.
    ...it's at least a close 2nd
    Last edited by RL7836; 11-30-2010 at 11:25 AM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see, Is it really that hardy?
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarracenia21 View Post
    I see, Is it really that hardy?
    If, by 'hardy', you mean cold-tolerant - I have no clue as I've never heard anything about it's ability to survive temperate winters.

If you're referring to it's ability to spread to adjacent pots and become very difficult to eradicate, yes, it has a well-deserved reputation.

I don't need any more 'issues'. My current list includes:

- D. regia that came with aphids that have survived the 1st round of treatment (separate isolation tank until pests are eliminated)
    - 2 pots of a nice, small, vigorous U. reniformis that are infected w/ U. subulata that only produces cleistogamous flowers (several inches separation from other plants, daily monitoring for cleistogamous flowers until leaf or root cuttings are established)
    - several utric pots that have an ugly filamentous algae that covers the media surface with a nasty 'web' (several inches separation from other plants until leaf or root cuttings are established)(or until alternate methods provide complete eradication).

Some people don't mind these issues (obviously - as they were all received in trades) but for me ....

- - - - now steps off soapbox and switches out of whining mode - - - -
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aloha Ron,

receiving a utricularia infested with another utricularia (subulata, bisqumata, longifolia) really sucks. Some it isn't too hard to get a clean culture going by taking flower stalk cuttings, others that grow slow like reniformis it almost feels like I got a time bomb waiting to happen as i have watched U. subulata spread from one pot to many even if these pots were feet away. Working on my "ship in a bottle" cultivation method to help slow them down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've isolated my orchidioides into glass vases. dont want to risk cross contamination---especially with other utrics that rhyme with "sighdolor"
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast