What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was here already, so I figured I'd add some more of my low quality horticulture...

These are some small divisions of U. reniformis and U. humboldtii that I'm keeping in a pool of fetid pond scum. They are growing quite well at household temps and humidity, with only additional lighting. The humidity is very low because of the heater at this time of year, so I'm impressed with how well they are doing (only teh easy specs, but still..) I need to get nelumbifolia next!

DSC_0069_zps741377f6.jpg

Well my U.nelumbifolia bloom died today. It was in bloom for five weeks for anyone who is interested in that kind of information. Jack

U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia seedling making buds:

DSC_0017_173.jpg

DSC_0019_175.jpg

Exciting! :-D

Finally --- <sigh>

Backstory: I received a U. endresii (small piece) from BCP back on Oct 29, 2009. It grew ok but never took off like my other Orchidioides. Finally on Sept 29, 2011, I divided & repotted. Being paranoid, I took the largest group of tubers & roots & put it back into a large 4x4x4" netpot and also started several other smaller pots with tubers/roots (as well as sharing pieces w/ others). Naturally, the largest piece in the primary pot has only recently put up a single leaf. However, one of the pieces in a 3" pot has been putting up leaves for a while and also started two flower stalks. I've waited for almost three weeks for the 1st flower to finally open - today was the day - my 1st official look at a U. endresii flower (that wasn't in a pic).

Here's what I've been seeing for over a week (nasty thru-glass pic):
Uendresiiflower-thruglass012813_zps86e16bd8.jpg

Today - the rest ... front
Uendresiiflowerfront020613RS.jpg

Side/back:
Uendresiiflowerside020613RSmod.jpg

The plant:
Uendresiiplantwflower020613RSmod.jpg

One of the things that I really wasn't expecting was the size - it was much larger than I anticipated. Here's a pic with a spare U. asplundii flower (this is the clone I call "long lobe" -- there's almost always some U. asplundii flowers open somewhere):
Uendresiiflowersizecomparewasplundii020613RS.jpg

Last edited:
woah. woah. woah. WOAH.
that flower is a stunner. very close in terms of morphology of both leaves and flowers to praetermissa. very cool!

nice. My U. endersii is slowly getting smaller all the time.....

Nice flower and pictures, Ron. Did you report the divisions into a different soil mix and were they also in a net pot? I've noticed when repotting Utricularia alpina that the largest leaves and tubers are the ones at the edge of the pot (normal pot, not net), basically the tubers seem to like touch the inside of the pot.

Did you report the divisions into a different soil mix and were they also in a net pot?
I've been very happy with the growth I've seen using live LFS in a netpot - so that's my primary approach. However, when repotting the original Orchidioides (not Iperua), sometimes they can get cranky, initiate a dormancy & perhaps decide to die. One of my backup pots is the one with two flower stalks & the 1st bloom (above) - this plant is in a 3" regular pot (w/ 100% live LFS). From what I've noticed, Orchidioides abhor anaerobic conditions. The netpots help keep those conditions away somewhat longer than regular pots - especially as the pots get larger.

I plan to experiment with an airy Nep mix at some point in the future (it's on my ToDo list) - but all prior media experiments that contained any peat did not fair well. ??? I've also got some ideas about using that new Hygrolon as a media ...

I've noticed when repotting Utricularia alpina that the largest leaves and tubers are the ones at the edge of the pot (normal pot, not net), basically the tubers seem to like touch the inside of the pot.
From what I recall, the tubers in the U. endresii were spaced all through the media. When I repotted this U. alpina back in 2011, the tubers were packed solid in the pot, like a bunch of marbles.
Ualpinatubers1051511RS-1.jpg

nice. My U. endersii is slowly getting smaller all the time.....
I wonder what's wrong? :scratch: I would think your conditions would be ideal - much better than my basement ..... your pots aren't sitting in water? Is there any liverwort on the media?

U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia seedling making buds:
Keep an eye on this hybrid - it seems that it might not have the good sense to slow down flowering once it gets tired. I just cut 3 or 4 stalks from one pot because 1) each stalk was very long with lots of buds/flowers and 2) there was only 1 small leaf left on the plant. I'm somewhat concerned that I waited too long...

Some other random updates:
- U. humboldtii that I stuck on an east-facing windowsill last year is sending up a stalk (my 1st for this species). This is the same windowsill that coaxed a flower out of U. reniformis f. courte (also my 1st)
- stuck some tubers of U. campbelliana & U. jamesoniana on Hygrolon plaques to see how they grow
- the small pieces of U. campbelliana that I placed on treefern plaques (back in Oct) have both sprouted new leaves & stolons

campbelliana tubers? do you have any pictures of these?

campbelliana tubers? do you have any pictures of these?
Sure. Most are buried in the moss but they are typically growing out from the junction that also has leaves. (there are also 2 tubers to the left of the highest leaf)
Ucampbytubers-leaves020713RS.jpg

.... but sometimes the tubers are there without any associated leaves (these two are probably the only ones I've seen like this). Full-sized ones are about the size of a grain of rice (give or take).
Ucampbytubers020713RS.jpg

Last edited:
i need to keep an eye out for these. thanks for the picture.

hmmm. toes wet but not feet wet. Will have to look inside. had relatively deep layer of lava/perlite/bark then live sphagnum. But then i do see one of the liverworths also. Quelchii seems to be doing OK. finally making larger leaves this year.

I've also got some ideas about using that new Hygrolon as a media ...
What's the texture of that like? I've seen pictures and it looks sort of woven.

What's the texture of that like? I've seen pictures and it looks sort of woven.
It is. It's a fabric - or like a fabric. If you haven't seen it yet, Goods started a thread on the stuff - has some good info & links. The one orchid guy has gone crazy with the stuff & apparently the plants have responded well (in one of the links).

Here are the two experimental plaques I set up. The left side is Hygrolon on Epiweb with 2 small U. campbelliana tubers (1st time I've tried tubers that don't have leaves). The right side is Hygrolon over closed cell foam (pipe insulation from what I can tell) with a U. jamesoniana root and tubers (again - no leaves). I spiked both with pieces of moss from the original U. campbelliana slab.
Hygrolon-campbyandjamesplaques.jpg

Here's a closeup showing the material. You can see the cross-section as well as the dimples they weave into the fabric - interesting stuff.
Hygrolononepiwebandfoam.jpg

I might have to get some Hygrolon to try. Prices for it in the UK are similar to USA.

Hygrolon Sphags look interesting too.

Hygrolon Sphags look interesting too.
Thanks for this - somehow I'd completely overlooked this stuff. I had cooked up in my head a plan to glue Hygrolon to the front & back of Epiweb and then cut it into small slices or cubes & then use these for media in pots for the big epiphytes (& maybe Neps). This would provide an open media that wicked water but wouldn't degrade or become anaerobic. This Hygrolon sphag may work just as well in this application. In general, I really like the potential this stuff has for our applications.

Just checked the Folius Store - although they have a pic of the 'sphag', they don't list it as a product yet --- although, I guess I can order some of the fabric & cut it myself ... ???

Just checked the Folius Store - although they have a pic of the 'sphag', they don't list it as a product yet --- although, I guess I can order some of the fabric & cut it myself ... ???

I'm pretty sure the "sphag" material is just the cut up fabric. I read somewhere about someone cutting it and using it as media...maybe it was Mikael himself. So far, mine has continued to stay just barely moist without ever being actively watered. I had a yard of the fabric material, and I made some tube mounts by wrapping it around some capped PVC pipe with just a small piece of it inside the tube as a wick. Those kept the outside wet for 2 weeks without any watering and a fan blowing in my greenhouse while I was away at school.

BTW Ron, the U. asplundii still has the spikes growing (taking forever!), so hopefully I'll have pictures to post here within the month. I've also got about 5 growths, leaves I think, coming up from the alpina basket and one in the asplundii.

sharing some progress with Utrics and aquarium filters.... plants are reacting favorably.
U. quelchii (back from the dead it seems)
_MG_6695.png

_MG_6693.png

U. endressii
_MG_6692.png

Back