What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I make a suggestion? Maybe one or a couple of you guys could do a moss give-away. I remember it was hard finding a stumpy/short sheet-y kind of moss to grow small leaves in on a cork slab back in the day, so maybe there's some other people out there who are looking for mosses too :)

Meanwhile my U.nelumbi flowered for a good 4 months straight this year. I guess it wanted a little less sunlight so maybe indirect light (the shade of a Sarra pot) + potted in wet/sludgey/sphag-y mess is the way to go for blooms. The portion I 'potted' = tossed into the terra at work is taking off making taaalllll small-leafed leaf stalks. We'll see if it flowers this year..

I have not yet seen a flower on my Reniformis either.
But I am at the point I can divide and isolate a few divisions in several locations and see what may come of it all.

that actually helps out quite a bit Andrew. Got my original division from Bob, so wondered a little more how he cared for it. He says,"plants flower every summer with the flowers lasting about 3 months."
Think my cold period is a little too long and cold for outdoor winters though.

I remember them blooming at peter's place and BobZ's place one April.
Don't think they can deal will full on freeze. Maybe garage or unheated area inside that doesn't freeze

so im about to relocate my campbelliana to a larger slab--a driftwood piece even. might put a few miniature orchids on the mount as well but there's a problem--how to water?

we've got quite a few people growing it here, so i'd like to hear how you guys are currently keeping your campbelliana from desiccation. mine is currently exposed to direct mist from a ultrasonic fogger every other hour.

Mine is in relatively high humidity, so that helps keep it moist. Also, the moss is on top of coarse peat, which helps retain water.

we've got quite a few people growing it here, so i'd like to hear how you guys are currently keeping your campbelliana from desiccation. mine is currently exposed to direct mist from a ultrasonic fogger every other hour.
Following the recommendations of the original owner**, the campby slab (sheet moss over cork bark) sits in water (allowed to periodically dry out) and sprayed by hand when I'm in the neighborhood (usually daily but can stretch to 2-3 days). I try to spray the jamesoniana on treefern once daily (but it can also get stretched).

I am dreaming about getting everything into a greenhouse where auto-foggers/misters/sprinklers can eliminate the current labor and closely mimic nature.

** I originally thought the lower areas were far too wet and any stolons that wandered down there would rot. My theories appear to be wrong as the lower sections have a strong colony where it is constantly wet. However, attempts to grow rolons on constantly wet dead LFS have typically failed. :scratch:

ummmm mine dries out around the edges pretty regularily.....
It is in an area of realitively high airflow, so I try to water it at least every couple days....

I was keeping it much moister and it was forever in a slow decline. The drier conditions (at least for me) have made a dramatic improvement. The recovery began almost overnight..... (its in the exact same moss as well, I just moved the whole clump from point A to point B)

I think now it has a "gradiant" of moisture levels it can choose from.... maybe this gradient is the key, I dunno

humid but not wet. sort of like petiolaris dews but not hot?

no direct mist for mine....

I think now it has a "gradiant" of moisture levels it can choose from.... maybe this gradient is the key, I dunno
I don't know whether gradient is the 'key', but I know I like the concept. If you can keep the plant happy enough to stay alive & spread, it should find it's happy zone. So far the strongest/largest concentration of my largest (& oldest) U. jamesoniana colony on treefern is at the bottom where the sprayed water naturally accumulates. Actually, as I think about it, my 2nd established colony is also strongest at the bottom (as he runs down to snap a quick pic).
Ujamestreefern2100412RS.jpg

I have found it odd that the jamesoniana likes it wetter than the establishing moss. The original, small root/rolon of james was placed just above the uppermost visible piece of utric (~1.2 inch above the very visible bottom section). It migrated down before going anywhere else (establish a reliable source of water before expanding?). Now if I can just get the campbelliana established in another location .... :censor:

U. humboldtii is making ferns rather quickly. I am pleased... :awesome:

DSC_0011-4.jpg

U. asplundii making its first flower for me:
67999_10101761460615626_786609337_n.jpg

Amp - beautiful U. asplundii!

It looks like the hybrid U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia has inherited some of it's mom's floriforous nature. The larger plant is sending up stalks 2 & 3 and the smaller plant is sending up it's 2nd stalk. Hopefully, I'll be able to get at least one in-focus & true-to-life colors pic from them (edit: just added a current pic to bottom of post). Although I'm not too fond of hybrids in general, this plant's cool flowers, hybrid vigor and nice medium size give it a lot of positives.

My U. praetermissa finally popped it's flowers -- but the 1st two were all screwy. The 3rd one is at least not obviously deformed but it's also not a good representation of the species (missing the middle ridge).
Upraetermissafront101612RS.jpg

Upraetermissaside101612RS.jpg

The 2nd stalk of the U. reniformis f. courte also opened some blooms and my pics this time are much closer to the real color than the earlier ones.
UreniformisfcourteflowerL3-4101012RS.jpg

Ureniformisfcourteflowerside101012RS.jpg

Current, in situ pic of U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia (I love the bulging, bloodshot 'eyes')
UnephrophyllaxUnelumbifoliafloweru101812insituRS.jpg

Last edited:
beautiful blooms Ron! wish my praetermissa went through with the blooming. aborted the stalk when i moved it to another side of the tank---talk about microclimate fickleness!

Vey nice flowers! Who could not fall in love with these dainty plants?

I have bloomed my first macro utric. :banana2: It's U. nelumbifolia i received from Ron (RL7836). I got the plant in Oct. of 2011 and have it sitting on an east facing window. My U. nelumbifolia took seven weeks from the time i first saw the bud to it opening. Jack

Last edited:
good job! It is nice to see blooms this time of year.

Back