What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A while back, I crossed U. asplundii with U. jamesoniana (both directions) but only the seeds from the U. asplundii seed parent germinated.

Here's two pics of the mother's flowers (seed parent):

.... and a pic of Dad's (pollen parent):

I planted seedlings both in netpots (in live LFS) & one on treefern. The one on treefern flowered before the others:

Front

Side

Plant (tuber in middle/right of pic - below largest leaf)

The hybrid appears to have grabbed most of it's appearance from the asplundii side. My complete inability to ever produce viable seeds from either selfing or crossing my asplundii clones does lead me to believe that these plants are indeed the hybrid.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Unrelated comments on Mobile's U. campby (since I've been mostly mia since the NASC) >> Wow - that's a crazy amount of leaves - never seen anything like that! I try to use opaque pots because of a potential flower coming up - but unable to break free of the media.... (which would depress me to no end) :ohno:

My U. campbelliana is growing like mad... subsurface! Fortunately I have it in a jar, so can still see it :)

Vym0Sq7.jpg

A while back, I crossed U. asplundii with U. jamesoniana (both directions) but only the seeds from the U. asplundii seed parent germinated.

I planted seedlings both in netpots (in live LFS) & one on treefern. The one on treefern flowered before the others:

Front

Side

Plant (tuber in middle/right of pic - below largest leaf)
Nice... I wish it was easier to trade plant material across continents.

Spectacular hybrid Ron! Very beautiful plant. Been learning lots from this thread

@Ron: you managed to germinate orchidoides seed? please share your techniques! im so sad i missed out on the initial revelation of your hybrid! looks great!

Nice... I wish it was easier to trade plant material across continents.
Ditto - but I think we'd really get the best end of that... :cool:

Spectacular hybrid Ron! Very beautiful plant.
Thanks - but based on some comments on CPUK, some feel it is not really a hybrid - just a selfing with natural variation. I expected that view before I posted. I'm not completely convinced either - but based on the info I have - I suspect it is a hybrid. As more experienced folks chime in with opinions and others make the same cross - we'll eventually find the truth. I also have several other siblings growing. On a separate note - I have a U. nephrophylla x U. reniformis cross sending up a flower stalk. Like the nephro x nelumbi cross - there should be no doubt to this cross as the seedlings are already larger than the seed parent.

Been learning lots from this thread
Agree - lots of good info tucked in here.

@Ron: you managed to germinate orchidoides seed? please share your techniques!
No secrets and no definite approach that guarantees success. My best success has come from sowing seeds on wet LFS. If I have lots of seed, I'll often spread it around & try a few different media. I have many, many times when nothing germinates. I've not gotten any germinations when U. jamesoniana (mine) or U. campbelliana (Tobias) is the seed parent. The seeds are so small .... Tobias recommends sowing on moist sterile cotton pads - which I've tried without success. Most of the larger Orchidioides tend to germinate easily (when the seed is viable). Sometimes I've sown seeds & forget about them and later notice small seedlings poking up from the LFS.

I've not gotten any germinations when [...] U. campbelliana (Tobias) is the seed parent. The seeds are so small .... Tobias recommends sowing on moist sterile cotton pads - which I've tried without success.
Ditto. I've tried on finely chopped LFS and cotton pads, with zero germination. Though, given the slow growth of even a mature U. campbelliana, it's hardly surprising that the seeds are challenging. They are like specks of dust... it's difficult to tell if they have even transferred to the growing medium.

Nice work Ron :) I can't wait to see what the other seedling looks like.

Last edited:
Nice work Ron :) I can't wait to see what the other seedling looks like.
The flower opened this past weekend but I figured I'd wait a bit for it to fully open & see if it changed. Today, I snapped a few quick shots just in case....

The mother ....

The father ...

U. nephrophylla x U. reniformis f. courte

Neither really captures the very light blue that I'm seeing with my eyes. If I get some time, I'll try again this weekend (or whenever I can).

For comparison, here's a previously-posted pic of U. nephrophylla x U. nelumbifolia

The color still isn't correct but at least it's not as gray as the earlier ones ...

U. nephrophylla x U. reniformis

My U. alpina x endresii was looking a bit rough and has been in the same container for some years... So I decided to get it repotted. Along the way, I found the plants that were in there seem to be chugging along just fine. (So I ended up repotting one that the LFS had mushed up so much the pot was half empty the other I left.) The best looking plant (on the surface) had the least amount of surprises under the media.

Andrew

20130924_170718.jpg

20130924_170733.jpg

20130924_170627.jpg

Wow - it's been almost 3 months since anyone has added to this thread - that's kinda sad.

I know this is premature, but today when I was watering my plants I noticed a stalk starting to emerge from ... (drum roll please) ... U. campbelliana. This plant is growing on treefern and was 'seeded' with a tiny sprig of campby in August of 2012 (which makes it younger than the one that was in last year's NASC auction). The stalk is along the bottom - approx 1/3 from the right.

Here's hoping that it keeps developing.

In addition to this, there is a U. humboldtii stalk that is quite advanced and a possible hybrid stalk just emerging (U. alpina x U. asplundii - although I'm doubtful on this one).
++++++
Update Feb 4
U. campbelliana now has 5 stalks emerging - amazing - when it rains it pours (thankfully in a good way this time)

Last edited:
Ron, you really have the touch with these! Congrats on your continued success.

Your Campy is looking good Ron and good luck with the flower :bigthumpup:

My Campy on a sponge is spreading quite fast, with it putting out runners to explore new places:

3D15yBm.jpg

usoOR5o.jpg

One of the leaves has developed under water:

anXzBbx.jpg

Nice results mobile. I was about to buy some of those high tech slabs, but a few sponges are an easier resource for me. What else do you grow on them?

Last edited:
I don't grow anything else on sponges. It was just a experiment I carried out with my Campy and it has turned out good. Maybe plants that likes similar moisture levels would be ok too. There is a moisture gradient up the sponge, so the plant can find the level it prefers. I've found that the campy prefers the wetter end, though the runners in the second picture are from higher up. If one wanted even moisture then the sponge could be place horizontally in a dish of water.

Carl,
Your campby has amazing vigor. When you showed pics growing inside the little container (iirc), I figured it was an aberration - but even on the sponge, there are loads of little leaves shooting out everywhere! You don't fertilize do you?

I've found that the campy prefers the wetter end, though the runners in the second picture are from higher up.
I've been quite resistant to keeping either campby or james on the wet side. However both have responded very well to add'l moisture. When I've started either on a slab, the 1st thing they do is send runners down to get their feet wet. Once they have a colony next to (or in) the water, they expand from there. Both have also sprouted multiple leaves under the water.

Carl,
Your campby has amazing vigor. When you showed pics growing inside the little container (iirc), I figured it was an aberration - but even on the sponge, there are loads of little leaves shooting out everywhere! You don't fertilize do you?

I fertilise extremely lightly. To water the plant on the sponge I fill the containing jar with RO water and occasionally add two drops of fertiliser. I leaving the sponge submerged for a few minutes before emptying. The fertiliser I use has a normal dilution rate of 5mL/litre, so just two drops is a tiny fraction of that.

I just got some Utricularia humboldtii and some of the bladders are huge! I know most people already know that but I still wanted to share some pictures, since there aren't that many. The bladders easily beat the ones on the aquatics I grow. I wonder if the plant actually catches prey that are that big. Granted, not all of them are that large but the ones that are I just think are amazing.

DSC_0038_1.jpg

DSC_0039_1.jpg

DSC_0046_1.jpg

Back