What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As I'm new into this of growing utrics, but seems my climate is good for them, here is my only orchidiodes one. U. longifolia, grown naturally under a tree

Longifolia is part of section Foliosa, not Orchidioides.

Longifolia is part of section Foliosa, not Orchidioides.

I only wish that the latter section required the same growing conditions as the former :)

I only wish that the latter section required the same growing conditions as the former :)
You mean water + air? LOL

One of the nice things about 'most' of the Orchidioides is that they are usually easy to kill. Because of this, I don't need to freak out when roots like this happen to wander next door
Ualpxhumball062111RS.jpg

As long as I keep plants that have noticeably different leaf shapes next to each other, the invasions aren't an issue. I either treat the upstarts like a mini-propagation when I do divisions or I simply pluck the different leaves out and soon, the invader is dead. I currently have some U. 'Jitka' in a pot of U. quelchii that is just waiting for division time to be separated. I also have some U. nephrophylla in a pot of U. quelchii - & that will never come out (that accident apparently came from the European supplier mixed together as U. nephrophylla has never been near that pot - nor even in that tank). U. longifolia (& probably other foliosa-section species) would also never come out either - I think they can completely regenerate from single cells (after flame sterilization) ... :0o:

Ok.. that means I really need to find my very first orchidiodes and try to prove again my climate is for them, well, since we have like 8 species around I really would like to try and grow them, but have never found them for sale anywhere.
Have you guys done tissue culture with them? if I get some I would definitely want to try it!

One of the nice things about 'most' of the Orchidioides is that they are usually easy to kill.
I wouldn't call that a "nice" thing. I thought you misplaced the quotation marks. And is that longifolia?

... but have never found them for sale anywhere.
Several Euro shops have them in TC & ship internationally (although I'm completely unknowing about regulations for CR)

Have you guys done tissue culture with them? if I get some I would definitely want to try it!
I suspect that it would be quite easy, especially when compared to Neps & others. However, once you've got a healthy, mature plant, propagation is easy. So, unless sterile cultures are needed (or super hi-volume production), why bother?

I wouldn't call that a "nice" thing. I thought you misplaced the quotation marks.
Once you've gone through the effort to rid a sizeable collection of an invasive**, my statements make more sense. You'll notice in various threads over the years, it's generally people who are just starting out (or with smaller collections) who ignore the admonishments of more veteran growers to "kill them while you can". Imo, the larger Orchidioides hit the sweet spot - healthy robust growth when given the right conditions but also reasonably easy to control.

And is that longifolia?
No, that's U. alpina - one of the most-forgiving species in section Orchidioides.

** even now, the U. quelchii that I mentioned in another post--- it's completely impossible to rid that pot of the U. nephrophylla*** that it came with. I cannot even make a division without contamination - so I'm being forced to start over from small root cuttings. I've got a flowering-sized, very healthy plant (& rare clone) that I've got to get rid of without even getting to keep any of the nice-sized divisions that could flower quickly. :censor:

*** don't get me wrong about U. nephrophylla - I love the species - it's one of my favorites. After cultivating several clones, I have one that is very robust & free flowering that I keep upstairs (& use for pollination & seed production). The clone that is resident with the U. quelchii hasn't flowered in 2 years.

** even now, the U. quelchii that I mentioned in another post--- it's completely impossible to rid that pot of the U. nephrophylla*** that it came with. I cannot even make a division without contamination - so I'm being forced to start over from small root cuttings. I've got a flowering-sized, very healthy plant (& rare clone) that I've got to get rid of without even getting to keep any of the nice-sized divisions that could flower quickly. :censor:

*** don't get me wrong about U. nephrophylla - I love the species - it's one of my favorites. After cultivating several clones, I have one that is very robust & free flowering that I keep upstairs (& use for pollination & seed production). The clone that is resident with the U. quelchii hasn't flowered in 2 years.

As a last resort before you completely give up and toss it. I've had pretty bad luck growing nephrophylla completely submerged long term, were as quelchii will just grow out of the water. Might be worth a try.

Knowing you though, both will just take off and flower for years :-D.

As a last resort before you completely give up and toss it. I've had pretty bad luck growing nephrophylla completely submerged long term, were as quelchii will just grow out of the water. Might be worth a try.
While it might not grow well under water, I suspect that it would take years (if ever) before it would die. Heck, Barry lists it as a lithophyte

Knowing you though, both will just take off and flower for years :-D.
Yeah right - LOL. There's still several species & specific clones that haven't shared their flowers yet (ie: U. 'Jitka' & geminiloba) & most species do not bloom regularly (aka: not truly happy).

Here's a few quick pics of the U. campbelliana flower stalks. I had to raise the treefern slab because the stalks come out at the bottom of the treefern & then droop. That's fine if they were in a tree somewhere - but not at the bottom of a small tank.

Closeup showing the 5 ...

Entire slab

Let's hope it keeps progressing :boogie:

While it might not grow well under water, I suspect that it would take years (if ever) before it would die. Heck, Barry lists it as a lithophyte

Yea, since Barry listed it as a litho I've tried many times to grow it that way and failed horribly every time. I suspect what he was describing was growing in an "epiphytic type raft" on rocks. Anytime I removed the "raft" the Utric died within a month or two. Even when I placed an establisted "raft" and let it grow in some, then started to remove the medium over time it would not take. I have given up on the idea of nephrophylla as a litho, and google searches in the past provided no help.

Hopefully the camp will open soon, the more I see the growth habit of it the more I think I want one.

A couple months ago I got in some new Utrics, U. reniformis is growing new traps well, suspended in water. The upper portion above the waterline/medium has put out a couple of leaves, they seem to discolor and die back slowly. The traps are much happier. Someone mentioned U. longilolia, mine is flowering and also has some aerial roots from the flower spike. I have not seem that before.

Are you growing them completely submersed, aside from the parts that grow out of the water themselves? I would love to see some pictures! I might try it with some of my U. humboldtii if it seems like it will work.

I tried growing humboldtii as a pure aquatic, it always dies, idk how it is that they grow inside bromeliad tanks in the wild but not in captivity. not gonna give up though maybe it needs slow adjustment? I have even seen pics where the utricularia was growing inside the bromeliad without substrate just water :p

The problem may be the climates needs, for example I have to grow reniformis as an emergent aquatic, as when I tried normal it failed, but as an emergent its doing good (I am tropical), but nelumbifolia won't grow for me, and I have tried many conditions, humboltii did well for me for a few months, but then within a few days a clump of plant just rotted from the leaves down, but the reniformis next to it was still happpy, I have had similiar issues with nepenthes, some neps I have to grow in a permanant water tray or the suffer, in perticuliar rafflesiana, ventricosa and distilatoria, yet other people in differnt climates try this and they rot for them.

interesting, I wonder what other people have to say about this. ???

Tanukimo, I have the reniformis in a handmade netpot in a mix of lfs and sand, that is in a glass container of soft water on a windowsill. The water level varies but I usually keep it a half inch or so above the top of the netpot.
Here is a pic of the longifolia with roots on the flower stalk. Pic not so good, taken in the dark.

Hey nice improvised setup I really like that. It's a fun way to grow these sort of Utricularia. Way to go!

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing! That longifolia looks so weird!

Make that water level half inch below the top of the netpot.

beautiful trap development, thats why Utricularia is my favorite CP genus. is this a typical reniformis? Ive heard different stories :p some say they dont like wet feet others say they do, thanks for sharing.

Back