What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does this look like Utricularia cornigera?
o11KoCO.jpg

This is what I assume is Utricularia reniformis (smaller leaves):
BwD3iPn.jpg

I seem to recall one of the differences being the angle of the incision into the leaf, but I'm not sure about the specifics.

For those who have not found the thread (http://www.terraforums.com/forums/general-discussions/139993-changes.html?highlight=) Ron is off exploring the world and hopefully having a good time in the process.

One of the last things he asked me to do was to grow a hybrid he intended to name, at the time he asked me not to post any info or photos of the plant or its flowers (back in 2014). He even would not give me the cross info :). Since I have been unable to contact him and I know he was always a big fan of sharing information and plants I intend to do as he has so many times in the past.

If it was not for Ron and his generosity I would never have gotten into CPs and have always felt I should follow in his footsteps. That said I plan on sending out a few cutting of this hybrid sometime this year. It just started flowering and I want to allow it to finish before I send off the first division. Last year I had a completely different flower and want to allow the second flower stalk to develop for comparison. Since this is a new hybrid it is very likely I have 2 different seed grow plants from Ron's cross in the same container. I have kept this plant isolated from the rest of my Utrics so there is no cross contamination.

Here is how the flower looks this morning. If it opens up anymore I'll get more photos.

For the time being I will be referencing it as Utricularia 'RL' for the sake of consistency.

Utricularia 'RL'
by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Utricularia 'RL'

Utricularia 'RL'

Utricularia 'RL'

beautiful and it hasn't even opened yet.

I'm excited to join the orchioides club. I got a starter plug of U. humboldtii 2 months ago and found the first new leaf growing this morning. It had been visibly spreading low in the (transparent) pot prior to this.

vJVpXYw.jpg

17FVA8r.jpg

Nowhere near as good as the previous post but here is Utricularia nelumbifolia x reniformis. Got it as Utricularia nelumbifolia, but alas, that species still eludes me.

yrJZamM.jpg

JlnQHWQ.jpg

Last edited:
juZDYAM.jpg

Wish I had taken better pictures before I left.

Here's a pic of jamesoniana Amuri in flower on my SE facing bathroom windowsill
c16632dc2a017d3fe9e25d0fb69b572f.jpg
29f1b77178b24b78622bd0ee3b66f4b6.jpg

My Colombia tepui clone isn't far behind!
Looks line it will have a smaller flower but time will tell.
6adb59bde791ab0c02c64e94fdb7d644.jpg

Mark

Last edited:
That's beautiful! Are you just growing them in LFS?

Thank you very much. The Colombia clone is in pure nz lfs with a wick of sphag out the bottom of its container, that sits on an empty net put, in a tray of water
e85da58c1e0bf235881d901434ef7067.jpg

507e9c5fdaa0abbba7a1b91b0b631c0f.jpg

03cd5f985881eac2926751d78f72fce6.jpg

48cf7b45170d75243b95f7ba8f955607.jpg

The amuri come is in a mix of peat and coarse quartz sand
354a5d910d8d22986360e935d19c998b.jpg

7c3145bddb4d2d6b737e9d8067ac04f9.jpg

Mark

That's quite an ingenious setup, thanks for sharing!

I can't take credit for the wick idea, If I remember right it was a member on tf that came up with that idea. Your more than welcome.

Mark

That's impressive. Never heard of this species being able to grow on a windowsill and much less flowering. Congrats!

Cheers, yeah I haven't heard anyone doing it before either, not in the northern hemisphere. I grow all my orchioides utrics, heli's, drosera, cephalotus in fact everything on windowsills. I abandoned terrarium growing 2 or the years ago and haven't looked back.

Mark

That's my plan too, though I do use grow lights for most plants since I have pretty heavily shaded windows for the most part.

Would be great to see some pics of your plants and setup if poss? Just remembered that I got the idea of the wick from a post by Pyro.

Mark

Last edited:
Here's a few pics of jamesoniana Colombia clone
4252db194e5bdd1bc76dd90949ac0c08.jpg

a837ff5883f16687e533f19bb16379bc.jpg

d9bdf9602263528b851bd0a93e37b544.jpg

And one of the amuri tepui clone for comparison
4218860059846c104cc745ca8fd1bcb7.jpg

Really nice to see some of the subtle differences between these two clone!
Really like the stronger and more defined colour in the Colombia clone!

Mark

Last edited:
I selfed the Colombia clone and the seed pod has expanded. The pod is now starting to dry out, just waiting for it to start to split and then I'll be able to see if any seed has been produced, hopefully if there are seed in the pod they will be viable!

Mark

Last edited:
I've been growing U. jamesoniana for some time and recently thought I had lost it. When I first grew it, it was in coarse peat and moss (not sphagnum) in a jar and I noticed it tended to prefer to grow at the base, where it was wetter. That culture started to fail due to poor air circulation so I repotted it onto a netted car cleaning sponge, again in a jar but with a fan this time, and again it grew very well at the base where it was wet. Eventually I divided it and repotted what I kept into a more traditional peat, bark and moss mix but it didn't perform well in this and I thought I had lost it. In a last ditch attempt to save it I repotted the tiny bit I had left into milled/chopped NZ sphagnum moss, for which Mark (carnigrower01) gave me the idea, and keep the base of the pot in water so that the moss stays wet. The plant has now started to grow quite quickly, producing two new leaves in approximately two weeks it has been repotted. The obvious conclusion is that this species likes it wet, which I find a little surprising given its natural epiphytic habit. I've posted a picture below but given the size it's a little difficult to get focus. The purple colour leaf in the middle is the one I transplanted which had a couple of short stolons and the green ones either side are those that have developed in the two weeks.

15025385_1320811634604588_5217458412104404710_o_zps93ntm0vp.jpg

Back