What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea soil mixes?

A long time ago I got some leaf pullings of Genlisea aurea and G. hispidula. I planted them on some LFS in small deathcubes and watched them for a while but they never seemed to do anything. They eventually got rotated to the back of the shelf and sorta forgotten. I pulled out their cubes to check them and dump them if they were still not doing anything and lo and behold finally I have a few little rosettes of each after six months or so. I want to pot them up individually and grow these little 1/4-1/2" rosettes into flowering size plants.

What soil mixes do you guys like to use on these?

I was thinking maybe 50/50 finely shredded LFS and APS for drainage/soil aeration so I can do occasional soil flushes.

I used coarse sand, peat and LFS. Live sphagnum works also, just will over grow if you let it......

Mainly LFS, pretty much the same as Mach.

Peat, APS and perlite has worked well for me. Genlisea seems to be one of those plants that like to have a deep pot with a thick drainage layer on the bottom.
~Joe

Thanks guys, I'm using 5 oz solo cups for sorting out the small plants from the starter containers and later I'll move them to some 2 1/2" W x 4" deep pots. I was going to leave off any live dressing since the leaves are so tiny as it is. Perhaps I'll try APS as a top dressing to keep the pest moss/algae at bay.

thick drainage layer on the bottom
So it doesn't like sitting on a tray at all? I was gonna set it on my moss bed so it stays evenly moist like the Neps and larger Utrics anyway but was curious about the tray method/waterlogging with these.

I don't think it minds being in a tray - not in my experience at least. But they seem to recover and spread faster in tall pots. The roots spread out pretty quickly too, which suggests to me that they appreciate the space.
~Joe

Back