What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchidioides Flowers

Hey Mach,
It's been about a month - any more stalks? I've got two definite's & two maybe's coming along. Ironically, none are from the plant that had 5 stalks last spring. Our winter (& prolonged cold spring) have definitely kept the basement cooler than ever, which I suspect has had a slowing effect on the flowering.

Hey Mach,
It's been about a month - any more stalks? I've got two definite's & two maybe's coming along. Ironically, none are from the plant that had 5 stalks last spring. Our winter (& prolonged cold spring) have definitely kept the basement cooler than ever, which I suspect has had a slowing effect on the flowering.

Almost same here. Crawling like molasses on a cold morning. Cold wet winter this year. Will do update

Hey Mach,

I thought that Orchidioides did better with cooler temperatures. Or is the flowering dependent on seasonal cues like changing light levels?

I thought that Orchidioides did better with cooler temperatures. Or is the flowering dependent on seasonal cues like changing light levels?
Short answer: yes.

Longer, opinionated version:
- Yes - Orchidioides tend to grow well in cooler temps but there is variability as some come from low elevations. Also, just because extra-cool temps slowed down seasonal flowering, doesn't mean they don't 'like' it.
- Seasonal cues - this is more complicated. Some of these plants grow near the equator so their seasonal triggers are likely weak. In my basement, I haven't changed the timing on the lights for years (got lazy) so the main cue they get is temperature. Most of the species still flower for me - however, the following have never flowered in my basement:
- U. reniformis**
- U. cornigera
- U. 'Jitka'
- U. geminiloba
- U. longifolia (not Orchidioides)**
- U. praelonga (not Orchidioides)**

The ones with ** flowered when I moved them to an east-facing windowsill where they experience both seasonal temp & light changes. I suspect (but don't really know) that even the plants that have flowered in the basement would benefit (become more regular) when exposed to more seasonal cues (ie: lighting & possibly watering). U. humboldtii refused to flower in my basement for many years but bloomed in the spring after I placed a plant on the windowsill. The next year, however, other divisions flowered in the basement & have regularly flowered since then. As an aside, the 1st U. humboldtii stalk in the basement was over 4 feet high with more than 10 flowers (iirc) - pretty crazy.

To continue experimenting, when I consolidate my plants into one grow area in my basement, I plan to hook the lights up to an astro timer set to S. Florida latitude. I'm curious to see if this makes any difference (w/ Utrics or Neps).

Last edited:
Back