What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there any Utrics that can grow in an aquarium?

Hello,
I just started an aquarium several months ago and I was starting to plant it with live plants. I was wondering if anyone is aware of or has had any experience growing utrics or aldrovanda in a standard planted fish aquarium. I know that the CP's tend to grow in nitrogen starved environments, but I also know that aldrovanda can handle higher nitrogen if other parameters are right. Any suggestions would be very appreciated, I miss having CP's and hope that just a utric or aldrovanda will do until I can begin growing Drosera again. Be Well, Jason

Several folks here on the forums have had good luck getting U. gramminifolia to grow as a carpet in their planted tanks. Quite sure they use CO2 along with bright light.

I tried getting some clumps of U. tricolor to make a carpet for me recently in my 10 gallon tank but I have a dozen or more 1" to 2" purple mystery snails and they kept up rooting all the pieces before they had a chance to root and spread.

Thanks so much for the tips, I am working on getting some good lighting, but haven't considered CO2 yet, I'll have o look into it. Be Well, Jason

U. gibba:

Picture001-31.jpg

Picture003-22.jpg

@jim: hahaha. i think he means in a planted tank setting---something like this:

Utricularia graminifolia--Oliver Knott
049B_3.jpg

i know we CPers love our gibba, but it's a close second to unwanted algae in the planted tank. most planted aquarists see gibba as the bane of their tanks.

Wow, that is spectacular looking, even better than I had hoped to see! Any ideas if it is tolerant of higher than neutral pH or if that parameter is a pretty solid one?

LOL! Well, it's a 'ghetto' alternative....

Back