What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. bisquamata 'Betty's Bay'

While I've been growing this cultivar for over a year, the original plant has been consumed with moss and refuses to bloom. This fall, I had an opportunity to get a 'new' plug from Europe and jumped at the chance. The new divisions, mostly unencumbered by moss, have prospered and flowered ...
BettysBay3011211darkenRS.jpg

BettysBay2011211darken2RS.jpg

BettysBay4011211darkenRS.jpg

BettysBay5011211darkenRS.jpg

Here's a flower of the normal, little weedy guy that many have spreading throughout their collections with the 1st pic next to it for comparison - kinda hard to believe that they're the same species....
Ubisquamata-front032910eRS.jpg
BettysBay3011211darkenRS.jpg

I did have one pic with my finger and the 'Betty's Bay', so I attempted to match finger-sizes to be able to roughly compare the cultivar with the little weedy variant (from an old thread - naturally, they are not facing the same direction - but it should give you an idea...):
Ubisqsizecomparison.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photo's. Any clue what triggered the flowers? Mine is just taking up space.

Any clue what triggered the flowers? Mine is just taking up space.
Nope. As usual, when I received my plug, I divided it into one main division & a smaller one. Both are growing very well but the larger one sent up a stalk. I did the same thing with a plug of U. welwitschii and both are sending up stalks. However, still can't get my U. warburgii to think in that direction... :headwall:

They are huge!

LOL

Excellent pictures!

Back