What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have no answer for this...

Cindy

Staff member
...but it is why I am still growing Aldrovanda.

Just to share how they are growing this season at the windowsill, in a disposable box.

aldrovanda_australian_red1.jpg

aldrovanda_australian_red.jpg

Wow. :-O Any location data with this red clone?

My Aldro dried up last summer and didn't come back.

Hm, maybe just stronger light? If they're on a windowsill, it looks like the plants on the right (what I'd guess is the front) seem to be way redder than stuff in the back or buried amongst other plants.

pigmentation seems to be concentrated on the mainstem, not on the developing areas or the traps---this could mean that the pigment starts pale first then colors up as the plant matures. that could also be the reason why they dont turn red at the same time...

also could be as liz pointed out, the red happens to be intensified in that upper right hand corner...light might be hitting those portions more than the other parts of the tank...

or against the traditional view of the Scientific Method of 1 cause = 1 effect, i'd say both are responsible. ;)

Wow. :-O Any location data with this red clone?

My Aldro dried up last summer and didn't come back.

The clone is from Australia. I am not sure of the location but it is one of the them listed here. I bought all the Australian forms since they tolerate warmer conditions (I think).

Hm, maybe just stronger light? If they're on a windowsill, it looks like the plants on the right (what I'd guess is the front) seem to be way redder than stuff in the back or buried amongst other plants.

It seemed so in the beginning until I took some out (too crowded) and placed them at the same place in an identical container...new growth is green. Plants are no less healthy. :scratch:

---even though they are placed in identical containers, the locations where you place them may matter...the window pane might cast a shade that that could permanently shade the plant (---not to the point that the plant couldn't develop, but just enough to not generate red pigment), or some areas might be well lighted then shaded depending on the hour of the day

that'd be my closest guess---good luck on finding an answer :)

I thought perhaps they disliked being moved or that the water chemistry was different. But I do change the water so both hypotheses don't hold. Hmm...I'll try and experiment with another set-up when I have spare time from my lovable attention-seeking toddler. LOL

You may have inspired me to grow Aldrovanda.

Beautiful, Cindy... just beautiful!

looks nice, I'm also getting one, maybe next week arrive.
do you have them in only water, and with out CO2?

-Cain

Cain, I have them in water without CO2.

Beautiful plants, congrats on such nice specimens!

Peter

Back