What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea Aurea Mucilage

After only one day in a flooded set-up, it already started producing its evil goo.

You can see little strings of it dead center and a little down.

Congrats. I have never grown Genlisea . . .

Perhaps this Genlisea has developed a second method of capturing prey?

Just need to see if any small insects get caught in the glue

So far, the glue has turned the sorrounding peat into this dry stuff. The peat almost feel like Moon Sand(tm). I currently don't have access to a microscope, but when i do, ill see if it catches or attracts any protozoa.

So... how's it taste?

Not enough yet, ill find out eventually.

I didn't even know that corkscrew plants had a mucilagenous surface. I thought it was all done through the bladders.

For now, only a few types of the plant produce it.

Neat! Where'd you get it?

Isn't the goo produced in response to flooded conditions? I believe genlisea can grow submerged in water for long periods. My G. hispidula is starting to get a little gooey, but I can't tell if it's the LFS breaking down or goo like yours.

Neat! Where'd you get it?

From a nursery.

I just rewatered it, and the goo seemed to be on the bottom half of the plant. I hoping with a increase of water ill get more results by the end of today.

Last edited:
Bizarre! I had no idea Genlisea made secretions like that.

Thanks for sharing.

If the plant does make goo by tommorrow, ill just show how it looks underneath, where it is flooded.

From a nursery.

I just rewatered it, and the goo seemed to be on the bottom half of the plant. I hoping with a increase of water ill get more results by the end of today.

:-)) Well, if I ask a silly question....

I guess I've just had the bad luck to miss it every time it's offered online. LoL!

Update:
This first one shows new growth points.

And here is the picture of the slime, its just a thin coat of jello like stuff on the exposed part of the roots/traps/stalks. It wasnt enough to taste :(

Well i just learned that this plant likes its leaves touching the soil. Other than that, it seems to have alot of new growth.

Well, it seems to be growing outward more, it looks alot better on camera then it does up close. Too lazy to upload new pictures, more goo though.

Finally what I've been waiting for, the goo layer that reflects the one in its natural habitat. I only needed to repot the soil so peat doesn't become super peat. I kinda wish I had not watered it so yall could see the effect better.

w02oh0.jpg

It happens in about two places.

Anyone know what that random green line of a plant is?

Back