What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda / Waterwheels

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
While cleaning up the porch I noticed that my Aldrovanda has been quietly spreading and going dormant:

004-10.jpg

001-15.jpg

Nice. Is that a container it's growing in, or the wild?

Those are huge traps!

Wow

Very nice :-D Do they flower for you? I have never seen a flower of water Utricularia. Would like to try some myself.

The U. gibba flowers rather nicely when kept outside. I haven't gotten the right conditions for the Aldrovanda.... yet.

007-7.jpg

002-5.jpg

Cool! Gotta love Aldrovanda. Such an undernoted Genus.

Slipping into dormancy:

001-22.jpg

010-1.jpg

005-12.jpg

008-5.jpg

nice waterwheels. i really want to set up a container pond on our deck. i would grow bladderworts, waterwheels, water hyacinths, and maybe a dwarf water lilly. where did you buy those? do you think you will ever have some extras for a giveaway at the tradin' post?

nice waterwheels. i really want to set up a container pond on our deck. i would grow bladderworts, waterwheels, water hyacinths, and maybe a dwarf water lilly. where did you buy those? do you think you will ever have some extras for a giveaway at the tradin' post?

I got mine from Michael Manna (Insectrtrap). Other sources are Doug Darnowski Rich Sivertson.

Hi Folks:

Don't forget, Meadowview sells Aldrovanda too (see our catalog at www.pitcherplant.org). If you have a membership and buy in bulk (50 or more) the plants are 0.50 each. Right now is a good time to order since the plants have produced winter turions.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan, Ph.D.
Director
Meadowview Biological
Research Station

Phil, is it possible for you to determine which strain I have, or at least narrow it down?

Hi Jim:

Not really. If you know where the strain came from that would help. Lubormir Adamec might be able to tell.

Best,

Phil

I've been told that green strains can take freezes but red ones cannot. Is that a good rule fo thumb?

Hi Jim:

Generally a good rule. We've got a red strain that is making it through the winter outside.

Best,

Phil

Back