What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Utrics!

Vbkid

Getting There...
So I was VERY happy to receive my first Utrics today in the mail.
I bought some inexpensive tupperware to put them in and planted the plugs that came in 50/50 peat/sand (maybe a little on the sandier side).
These are all terrestrial Utrics (Sandersonii, Laxa, pubescens, livida, etc)
Below are some picture of them potter up and in a larger container. I currently have water in the big container up to almost the soil line, and these will be under fluorescents.
Everything look ok? Advice is ALWAYS appreciated.
Thanks,
Kyle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugh-jass/6740322063/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugh-jass/6740322063/in/photostream/

Only the slightest of bumps...

Should work. If you have any that want wetter conditions just use less media. More room on top for some water.

Ah, I'll have to remember that! Will that just be by experience? Or is there some place I can look up how wet each species likes it?

I currently have water in the big container up to almost the soil line...
I usually keep them in 2.5" pots sitting in 0-0.25" of water. Most of these guys are little weeds that will adapt to your conditions. More than water level, the issue that drives growers nuts is moss control - especially with the species that have really small leaves (like U. uniflora).

Their ability to do well in most conditions helps make them really fun to grow since there is no need to worry or fuss - just keep them wet and appreciate the flowers (& weed out the moss when it gets overbearing). They're great 'feel good' plants.

The species you have (other than the U. laxa) are happy to grow as regular plants and don't need to sit in alot of water. Mine in the greenhouse don't sit in any water and just get watered every other day so they stay wet in a mix of peat/sand (more peat than sand). You could put them in trays with a bit of water and they will be happy. I wouldn't keep these guys overly waterlogged though like some of the other species.

The U. laxa can sit in a tray with the water level about halfway up the side. Also keep an eye on the pods after the flowers drop... it will on occassion make seed.

edit:
Just took a look at your set up. I am guessing there are holes in the bottom of each smaller container?
Personally I would suggest not putting them into a communal tray even though they are spaced apart. The runners can go from one pot to another through drainage holes when they are all in the same water tray.

Thanks for the advice!

also remember, utricularia capture prey in the soil, so they certainly appreciate room to grow under there.
and as far as flowers go, you should get some here and there, especially from the u. sandersonii and the u. bisquamati, but you won't get mass flowering until they fill their respective containers (usually).

and congratulations on the new acquisition :] Utrics are one of my favorites

Nice. Looking forward to following your progress with them. I so want to try some Sandersonii, but still a little hesitant I can provide proper conditions since my expertise is still outside CPs, and don't know if they can be outside in the summer or have to be kept inside year-round where I live.

Best of luck with your new plants :-D

Nice. Looking forward to following your progress with them. I so want to try some Sandersonii, but still a little hesitant I can provide proper conditions since my expertise is still outside CPs, and don't know if they can be outside in the summer or have to be kept inside year-round where I live.

Best of luck with your new plants :-D

I promise you can grow utricularia sandersonii
this is a plug i got at the beginning of winter. as you may notice, it has a slight infestation of stylidium debile (possibly an even easier plant)
I have been growing them under OLD fluorescent tubes , never standing in water. more light and more water couldnt hurt them.
winterinstallment304.jpg

you can see it reproducing in a number of ways.
leaf clumping
runners
flowers
and flowers that never open yet still set seed

Back