What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia longifolia in full bloom.

RI0Vo.jpg

full bloom indeed.

Now I'm really ticked that mine won't flower for me yet. ;)

Oh wowwwwww, that is quite the spectacle. Now I REALLY hope mine will bloom for me. Maybe when I increase the photoperiod for summer. :drool:

what a beauty!!!
Nice growing!

Maybe when I increase the photoperiod for summer. :drool:
Mine is grown under a metal halide lamp, for which I never adjust the photoperiod, so I suspect that there are other triggers.

wow! that looks incredible! great pic too! and from a phone? ( im assuming cause of the script across the bottom)

wow! that looks incredible! great pic too! and from a phone? ( im assuming cause of the script across the bottom)
It's taken on my 8MP camera, then I processed the image through Phatch to add watermark and shrink.

WOW is all I have to say about that :hail:

Thanks for sharing a great pic of a bunch of flowers. It's hard not to be impressed when they throw out some blooms.

Now I'm really ticked that mine won't flower for me yet. ;)
Mine never flowered under lights for me (even when I manually adjusted the time). I did some research & found that many people who grew them on windowsills got blooms. About 4 years ago, I stuck some on the windowsill and have had flowers every spring (which can last for months if you don't pollinate). I'm not sure whether it's the seasonal photoperiod or the temp change (gets cold against the glass in the winter) or a combination (....or something else). I just know it's nice getting those flowers ... :banana2:

Beautiful flowers and pictures!

Thanks for the compliments :)

I'm not sure whether it's the seasonal photoperiod or the temp change (gets cold against the glass in the winter) or a combination (....or something else).
I suspect that it's temperature, as mine grows under metal halide lighting year round, with no change in photoperiod. It gets some incidental natural light, but I don't think it would be enough to influence it.

I know this is an old thread, so apologies, but I did want to throw in some observations that might explain your flowering. For years I'd grown some terrestrial broms and numerous succulents under lights without adjusting photoperiod. Most of the plants still exhibited some seasonality to their growth. Temps might be involved, but I think the real cause is far red wavelengths. Far red light can travel quite some distance, and bounces around rooms fairly well - if you have any windows to speak of, I suspect enough far red lights gets in to trigger flowering.

She's doing the same again this year... loads of flowers :)

I know this is an old thread, so apologies, but I did want to throw in some observations that might explain your flowering. For years I'd grown some terrestrial broms and numerous succulents under lights without adjusting photoperiod. Most of the plants still exhibited some seasonality to their growth. Temps might be involved, but I think the real cause is far red wavelengths. Far red light can travel quite some distance, and bounces around rooms fairly well - if you have any windows to speak of, I suspect enough far red lights gets in to trigger flowering.
:bigthumpup:Yes, that could explain it. I've been reading about far-red light recently. In fact, I've recently purchased an LED lamp containing far-red.

Could explain why mine has suddenly decided to flower for me now, after 2 years of sulking....

That is beautiful. I'm hoping mine will do that one day.

Back