What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Utricularia...

poor res pictures. and no open flowers. very likely bisquamata or subulata.

I'm sorry, it's hard because my camera doesn't like to focus much... :blush:

Considering the abundance of cleistogamous flowers, that's almost certainly U.subulata.

I'm sorry, it's hard because my camera doesn't like to focus much... :blush:
Your camera is focusing - just not on the flower. Try this. Keep the finger even with the flower and place the center of the camera screen on it (while keeping the flower still on the screen).

subulata releases 2 types of flowers. full blooming and cleistogamous. the full blooming ones will have the yellow coloration. the cleistogamous flowers look exactly like what is in your pictures--unopened flowers-yet they will release seed. this is why subulata is so invasive in collections.

check and see if at the base of flowers where they attach to the stems if there is a drop of sticky clear liquid. if that is there is a good indicator that it is subulata

DSC_00070001_1.jpg

also they often will not form flowers and go right to the seed pods so you might not see the nice yellow flowers. These cleistogamous flowers are also produced by other utricularia but very common in the weedy forms of U. subulata

Thank you guys! So how do you make it flower then??? Do seeds need cold stratification to grow?

It's the cleistogamous form of subulata. While bisquamata can produce seed cleistogamously, eventually you will see flowers that look like tiny fried eggs (white on the outside, yellow on the inside). The number of cleistogamous stems is highly diagnostic of subulata. This form of subulata is unlikely to flower regardless of the conditions that you present it with. Subulata is very hardly and will out-compete other forms of utricularia and CP seedlings that might be growing nearby, although it is seldom a problem for larger CPs. IMHO, it's best to rip it out whenever you can; subulata is neither attractive nor easy to manage once it gets out of control.

Looks like those seed pods will be opening soon too, so keep an eye out. U. subulata doesn't need a stratification, and mostly it's just a thing of luck if you get the flowers on these mainly cleistogamous forms. However, it seems high light levels can do the trick. Just keep the seeds and this pot away from any similar sized carnivores ( U. livida seems to outcompete it, though).

IMHO, it's best to rip it out whenever you can; subulata is neither attractive nor easy to manage once it gets out of control.
I agree. There are many different species of utrics with beautiful flowers - no reason to grow the two most invasive ones - subulata & bisquamata (weedy version).

Back