What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia reniformis flowering

IMG_0061_hf.jpg

Taken today...

ty katie, dont think this one has bloomed for me before.... so pretty stoked :)

Congrats! Which clone (or how big are leaves)?

ummmm quarter sized I would think, not sure about clone.... missing label but it came from some jersey dude ;)
I know I know, but it was there I swear.... now its not, gremlins I tell ya

indeed. woots. this one has never ever attempted to bloom for me... ever!!!!

ummmm quarter sized I would think, not sure about clone.... missing label but it came from some jersey dude ;)
I know I know, but it was there I swear.... now its not, gremlins I tell ya
Hmmm - if it arrived in April of 2009, then it is likely to be a SG plant from a West Coast grower (germinated by another CP buddy). I believe that the seeds were from a selfed 'Big Sister' type of rennie. Siblings to that clone in my less-than-optimal conditions produce leaves ranging from nickel-size to ~3".

Mine have never entertained the thought of sending up a stalk. ??? :headwall: :cry:

Enjoy the beautiful flowers ... :slap:

very nice Butch! now, 2 months of waiting....

May I ask, is that grown indoors under lights?. outdoor greenhouse?
Thanks for any info.
Looking forward to seeing the full bloom!

indeed. woots. this one has never ever attempted to bloom for me... ever!!!!
Well this is the first time it has offered to bloom for me as well... woot woot!

Hmmm - if it arrived in April of 2009, then it is likely to be a SG plant from a West Coast grower (germinated by another CP buddy). I believe that the seeds were from a selfed 'Big Sister' type of rennie. Siblings to that clone in my less-than-optimal conditions produce leaves ranging from nickel-size to ~3".

Mine have never entertained the thought of sending up a stalk. ??? :headwall: :cry:

Enjoy the beautiful flowers ... :slap:

Ron, I went back and found pictures of the plant from summer of 2010, it had a couple leaves the size of silver dollars at that point... I use to give it ferts but havent done that in a long time.... maybe that is the reason for the decrease in leaf size, me dunno

ugh.... understood :)

May I ask, is that grown indoors under lights?. outdoor greenhouse?
Thanks for any info.
Looking forward to seeing the full bloom!
Indoors, under fluorescent lighting, 5000k T8's

Unless it's really cold, I suspect the time will be measured in weeks from this point (just a swag - but I can guess too) :lol:

Unless it's really cold, I suspect the time will be measured in weeks from this point (just a swag - but I can guess too) :lol:

43. the answer is 43.... um what was the question now?

My questions are what sorts of ambient temp fluctuations in the growing areas? I have mine outside and they just exist. never seem to do anything more than just that. Dry dormant period did that happen? I tried to give them that, but welll stuff happens.... I saw them blooming at Peter's Place, and for Bob Z. I have often wondered if I don't get cold enough but it they are blooming at room temp ambient conditions it sort of suggests other wise.

Just my 2 cents.... I think its likely dry period.

Ive been letting mine dry to the point of the sphag being crunchy for the last few months before I water. This is also their natural time to be umm dry (relatively speaking)

Back about a year ago I posted the climatic data for most of the major Tepuis. Pretty much constant as far as temp, some drop but nothing to speak of... but what was seasonal was their dry season (relatively speaking) that occurs from Oct. through March.

Additionally, "The genus Utricularia - a taxonomic monograph by Taylor, Peter. (1989)." states that U. reniformis can be observed in-situ flowering from Oct. through March.
I dont think that is a coincidence.... Realistically, how could pollination occur when youre getting multiple inches of rain per day.... it would seem risky for the plant to expell that much energy any other time of the year.

My vote is dry spell, maybe even dry spell and a oct. through march time frame.

But me no utric daddy.... just making assumptions based on hillbilly logic. May be quite a bit of variation within the species too.

image002.gif

Maybe not the exact location, but I think its still valuable data...

Only one variable has a dramatic and predictable shift :)

???

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents.... I think its likely dry period.

Ive been letting mine dry to the point of the sphag being crunchy for the last few months before I water. This is also their natural time to be umm dry (relatively speaking)
So far, the 'dry-thing' hasn't worked for me. I've tried bone-dry (crunchy sphag) and a few levels above that (higher moisture). When I did the bone-dry approach, the plant had a lot of difficulty emerging when I started to water. Lost one pot & had to dig another out.

Back about a year ago I posted the climatic data for most of the major Tepuis. Pretty much constant as far as temp, some drop but nothing to speak of... but what was seasonal was their dry season (relatively speaking) that occurs from Oct. through March.
Any idea if this dry season around tepui-ville is the same as southeast Brazil. I'm not sure of the U. reniformis range but I believe I've read about observations in Minas Gerais.

Additionally, "The genus Utricularia - a taxonomic monograph by Taylor, Peter. (1989)." states that U. reniformis can be observed in-situ flowering from Oct. through March.
I dont think that is a coincidence.... Realistically, how could pollination occur when youre getting multiple inches of rain per day.... it would seem risky for the plant to expell that much energy any other time of the year.
On the flip side, would a plant be able to finish flowering during the time when water is scarce and many others have dried back to tubers?

My vote is dry spell, maybe even dry spell and a oct. through march time frame.
I agree, dry spell does seem to work for many. However, I wonder if either dry spell or cold weather would work since either would place the plant into a dormant state? I also wonder if photoperiod plays a part?

Here's the link to another thread on this topic.

caracas is unfortunately nowhere near tepui-ville, your best bet would be somewhere around the ball park of Santa Elena de Uairen-- dont have yearly rainfall schematics, but this current month's is quite interesting: http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/VEXX0034

take it worth a grain of salt. most orchid utrics live near tepuis, but not all of them...

Found a pge that shows the averages from your link jon... http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/VEXX0034

Again temps pretty constant, rainfall has a seasonal variance.

Ron, I doubt its as simple as just let the plant dry out. If it was it would be standard operating procedure by now for growers.
I wonder if dry and timing must go together...

maybe both variables need to be in alignment for the process to begin?

Last edited:
Back