What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric sandersonii "blue" vs "white"

Has anyone ever compared "blue" to the description in Taylor? Particularly the traps? Does Taylor mention both? (I haven't gotten around to picking up the monograph yet, but it's on my short list). The two just seem SO different to me - is it me, or are the leaves quite different? I know there are very variable species out there, but if sandersonii has such a small range...? The more sprawling nature of "blue" and the very different pattern on the lower lip of the corolla really bother me, too. I've seen many threads hinting at opinions that they're the same (or different) but no specifics. I have also yet to peruse back issues of the CPL, so this information might be there as well, for all I know.

In the succulent hobby, many times "mystery plants" can be at least tracked back to a certain dealer, or even a first mention in a newsletter, and the carnivorous plant hobbyists seem every bit as obsessive as us ;-), so does anyone have any ideas as to when the blue form first appeared in cultivation?

Hi pflanzjaeger,
On my plants, the blue leaves do look a little bit bigger than those on my "typical" U. sandersonii. I have not compared the blue form to the description in Taylor (I do not have a copy on me or I would real quick). Honestly, I don't recall if he mentions the blue form or not.

Bob Ziemer makes mention of some differences on his site: http://users.humboldt.edu/rziemer/zphotos/U_sandersonii.html

Last edited:
I don't have time right now, but I'll post a picture with the 2 side by side. The blue one is a little darker and is wider, though.

As of a couple of days ago, I've been told that Taylor doesn't mention two different forms. He does say that the flowers can be a "pale mauve."

There were formerly a different species and a variety (treubii) relegated to synonomy w sandersonii. Maybe that's the blue form (Thanks to ICPS-bob for all that info!). That said, I still suspect a hybrid or a backcross...but that and a buck fifty gets you a cup of coffee.

Anybody have both so they could compare the traps?

I have both, growing right next to each other. The bladders appear about the same size, the main differences come when looking at leaves and flowers, where you can see a big difference. The blue form: bigger, wider everything. I have even attempted crossing the two when they flower together, and though they appear to produce viable seeds, I haven't managed to be able to germinate them yet.

Back