What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia ID

I honestly do not even know if I have an utricularia but hey that's the whole point of a id thread. I took two photos from the plant and the flower stalk/seedpods. I do not know the flower color since I never seen it bloom.

2013-06-27+13_19_15.jpg

2013-06-27+13_19_04.jpg

Looks like the cleistogamous form of U.subulata.

concur. I have begun to wonder if seeds are coming in peat and not necessarily on plants we trade....

I have gotten all my seeds from ICPS and I haven't seen any super tiny black seeds. I broke a seed pod to see how Utricularia seeds look like and I definitely don't recall saying that. I bought my peat from home depot and for years I haven't had any random Utricularia sprouting till recently.

I'm one of the very few that manages to kill U. subulata. I keep reintroducing it, it keeps vanishing.

concur. I have begun to wonder if seeds are coming in peat and not necessarily on plants we trade....
I wouldn't rule anything out but I still think trades are the most likely vector. Many that have U. subulata &/or bisquamata don't know it. Some that have one or both mistakenly believe that it stays in it's intended pot (LOL). Even those that know they have it may not warn a trade partner of it's existence. :nono:

I have an ever expanding colony of U. bisquamata that originally came with some Satracenia from Peter D'Amato's nursery. I wish I'd pulled them all out the moment the plants arrived. What a pest this is!

I with stinkpot actually try to grow subulata:( Dang thing won't grow!!!

Last edited:
I wouldn't rule anything out but I still think trades are the most likely vector. Many that have U. subulata &/or bisquamata don't know it. Some that have one or both mistakenly believe that it stays in it's intended pot (LOL). Even those that know they have it may not warn a trade partner of it's existence. :nono:

So far I have gotten U. bisqumata only on infested plant material on trades or purchases. U. subulata I see popping up in places nowhere near any other infested pots. So it has gotten me wondering. U. subulata is an almost cosmopolitan species in bogs/marshes. Peat gets harvested from essentially same habitat. Perhaps they just don't germinate in your traditional nursery settings? too much fertilizer, impure water, pots too dry,etc////

LOL Welcome to the 'Oh no, not that f***** subulata again!' club :-D

Back