What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody grow gibba?

Hello, do any of you grow U. gibba. I'm planning on buying some on ebay. I heard they are easy to take care of, but I can't really find any info on how to grow them. Can you grow it in a glass vase filled with ro water with light? Thanks!:grin:

Whenever I see it in the field it is in a peat/sand soil that floods and then dries out on a regular basis. I don't have any to offer you unfortunately. Good Luck in your search!

I have mine in an aquarium. It grows very quickly and needs constant thinning.

Very hard to kill. ;) Go for it.

Did you already buy some on fleabay (cause I grow it)? U. gibba is very "easy" to grow, not very fussy at all.

Yeah mine is really a weed. I just grow it in a little glass jar with a bit of peat on the bottom of the water (to make the water more acidic). I've only used RO water. But it grows super fast. I'm yet to get mine to flower but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard. I sort of neglect my U. gibba

nope, didn't but it yet, utricularia. Thanks for the advice East_to_west.

ya i just threw some into my watering trays and it's all over the place. lol.

Let the water go down until it's alllll-most dry, then fill it up. That should make it flower. I haven't tried it, but the couple I got mine from had a flat full they were ripping chunks off, and it was blooming like mad.

nope, didn't but it yet, utricularia. Thanks for the advice East_to_west.

Well, if you want, I will save you an ebay click. I do not have a lot to send right now but I can send you enough you get you started. PM me your address if interested.

You all have be interested in them? Does any one have any pictures of some?

Thanks for the offer, sent a pm:)

I keep it outside, full sun, in a fishtank, watered with bog seep water.

I keep mine in a refrigerator tray with a layer of clay from the front yard, with some Baumea sp. and Sagittaria sagittifolia. They formed a thick mat in and above the clay and flower year-round. The entire tray is only a few inches deep, so the water fills in the cracks in the Utricularia gibba! I have seeds if you need them; I'm not entirely sure if they're viable because I've never tried germinating them.

I just got a hunk of gibba yesterday and have it floating in my aldrovanda tub. I don't now how it will work suspended in five to six inches of water, but I think as I let the water level drop it will find the substrate, root, and presumably take off.

Anybody have advice on free floating gibba?

I just got a hunk of gibba yesterday and have it floating in my aldrovanda tub. I don't now how it will work suspended in five to six inches of water, but I think as I let the water level drop it will find the substrate, root, and presumably take off.

Anybody have advice on free floating gibba?

It can grow fine suspended in a couple of inches of water. It doesn't require any sort of substrate, but I've never seen it flower when suspended. I would also be very wary about growing it with Aldrovanda because U. gibba can easily out-compete Aldrovanda for space and food.

I grew mine in just a small 5gal. tank filled half way with RO. In less than a year it was corner to corner gibba below the surface, and corner to corner gibba flowers above the surface.
Easy peazy..

Back