What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquatic Utric for Water Tray?

Hey everyone:

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an aquatic utric that would grow in a standard 2-3 inch water tray that I keep full (mostly) to water some of my other CPs. It'd get light from T5 grow lights and I'd be sure to introduce daphnia.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
-N

U. gibba is very easy to grow in a plain old fishbowl, dixie cup, mud puddle, etc. Seems to grow easily from even the tiniest piece so long as the water isn't too algae filled to keep the light from it.

I grow Australis, gibba and Aurea in the trays of my sarra's, the gibba go crazy but the other two only work if you use peat as a soil for the plants in the tray (in my case sarra) as spag doesnt release enough CO2 to keep them happy, gibba on the other hand don't need high CO2 levels.
My trays are in full sun from any where from 3hours to 8/9hours, but the coldest winter I get is 8C, i think thats in the mid 40's, and this is only for a few days of the year.

I grow U.gibba in my plant trays inside under lights. It grows and spreads well but I never get flowers inside.

U.purpurea can get large and depending on the origin could require a winter dormancy. If you're growing in large tubs outside though it may do just fine.

Ah, alright. I'll probably stick with U. gibba then.

U.gibba is by far the best choice for what you're trying to do.

Bisquata would also grow but DO NOT PLANT THAT! Lol

U. gibba will flower if put outside, in full sun.

U. gibba will flower if put outside, in full sun.

U. purpurea is said to have very specific requirements as to pH and its dislike of changes of any type. My two attempts ended in dismal failure. I would go with U. gibba. If you need a start let me know and I'll fix you up.

Jimscott, those are really beautiful! Good growing!

Thanx!

Back