What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hcarlton's Utrics

The blue bunnies continue to frown at you all

And is it me, or does this just NOT look like the U. involvens it was supposed to be?

A very different kind of Utric for me: newly acquired U. reniformis seems t be settling in nicely. With these new leaves, above growth has slowed and the plant is spreading the stolons now

I think U. subulata is an underrated species.
That's one way to describe it - although I have a number of other adjectives that are more apt for the species (imho) :-O

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion... though granted, I think it's nice only when it's in its OWN pot, or with much bigger plants.....

Not a Utric, but it's related: my first corkscrew flower, G. lobata x flexuosa:

And one true Utric shot: the ever-flowering dichotoma

U. dichotoma again. Once this thing starts, apparently it never stops

And am ore group shot of the G. lobata x flexuosa flowers

Good growing, your plants look great! I love the dichotoma, it's such a neat plant.

But people rarely ever show it anymore...

A very different kind of Utric for me: newly acquired U. reniformis seems t be settling in nicely. With these new leaves, above growth has slowed and the plant is spreading the stolons now

Is this the plant I sent you? Got huge in no time!

It's bigger than that now, starting to send out leaves through the sides of the pot. It's got at least a dozen open or in the making. The nelumbifolia also finally graced me with a leaf, but seems reluctant to grow into the wet slurry the stolons are sitting above. I am testing to see if it might actually be looking for drier conditions in my setup....

Beautiful Utricularia! The flowering habit on the U. dichotoma is lovely :).

U. reniformis has filled its pot, but is waiting for the winter sunlight to put out any big leaves
15333792222_80ef22198e.jpg

And this one's for Maiden: the U. calcyfida are mature
15334101615_e79f452a49.jpg

And I got my first flower! A lovely pale mauve
15330850881_5581bcfcc0.jpg

The G. lobata x flexuosa has also filed out the pot, and sent up another flower stalk
15330855051_c9d875c25a.jpg

15147382589_486aa8a745.jpg

15334023685_8388fae104.jpg

15147436058_7071c13d77.jpg

And just because it's STILL flowering, a bouquet of U. dichotoma
15333676112_f3e0defe2e.jpg

You are way too successful with Genlisea. I am both jealous and bitter.:)

I only have the one Genlisea, and I can't say I'm doing anything special to keep it alive..... though I may have a second variety soon, we'll see how well I can keep it alive too....

U. pubescens is flowering on a second stalk now
U. pubescens by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
And my livida "pale flower" is blooming again. They get direct sun at this time of year, the color never increases
U. livida Pale Flower by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Meanwhile, a little hard to see, but on these two G. lobata x flexuosa flowers you can see the effects of lighting. The one to the left was above the lights, the other just underneath, and the latter is far more purple
G. lobata x flexuosa by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Another shot
And the pot. The plant has completely filled it, and currently has 3 stalks.

Rearrangement of pots means some increased lighting, which has brought the displeased rabbits back with a vengeance. That frown speaks of many terrible deeds....
U. sandersonii typical by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

Meanwhile, another comparison shot of lighting effects on G. lobata x flexuosa, but this time on different flower stalks. 2 stalks have open flowers totaling at least 6 blooms, and 4 stalks are currently growing total.

Last edited:
U. pubescens is still going...
U. pubescens by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
calycifida is also sending up a new stalk, due to open buds any day now
U. calcyfida by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
U. dichotoma is back to flowering again, though it's sparser now
U. dichotoma by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
New record on the Genlisea, 8 flower at once. The third stalk is about to join in too...

Lastly, I am curious to know what all species people have successfully reproduced from seed. Aside from the classic subulata, calycifida, bisquamata and longifolia of course. I ask because I have just flowered for the first time seed-grown U. sandersonii "Blue"
U. sandersonii "Blue" SG by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

Back