What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hcarlton's Utrics

Excuse me for being off subject but is that Drosera hilaris alongside? Always good to have extra plant material - if you can keep it under control, ha!

That is quite a striking flower.

The chrysantha is phenomenal, thank you for sharing!

Since everyone likes the chrysantha so much (I've actually currently got 6 flowers on 2 stalks):
U. chrysantha by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
But I have something even better at the moment:
U. nelumbifolia SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Never realized the flowers can have yellow streaks down the nectar spur
And I selfed it, naturally, and there's a huge pod already developing. If all 3 develop the same way...gonna have a lot of seedlings. Also just because, took some pollen and put it on a U. calycifida bloom, and may well do the same with one of the buds on a longifolia stalk that's growing, just to see if anything results. Doubt it, but what the heck...

This first thing isn't a Utric, but...
Crappy cell phone camera attempt first:
G. exhibitionista by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And then attempts with my better camera:
Now, proper Utrics:
U. nelumbifolia by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Those flowers I got off this plant, first pod made a bunch of seeds. Next two...not so much...but I still have something like 70+ U. nelumbifolia seedlings floating in a cup, slowly starting to grow...
U. chrysantha by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
U. longifolia by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Relatively new to Utrics but I have fallen for them hard.

I'm curious to know how you grow your U. nelumbifolia. They seem very healthy. Mine? Not so much.

It's in a wet cup of sphagnum. That's it.
Also just discovered that drying out both my humboldtii and reniformis have made them take off, and a dry spell has triggered two alpina inflorescences...so only a couple species like nelumbifolia seem to really like it sopping.

It's in a wet cup of sphagnum. That's it.
Also just discovered that drying out both my humboldtii and reniformis have made them take off, and a dry spell has triggered two alpina inflorescences...so only a couple species like nelumbifolia seem to really like it sopping.
Interesting, I just recently switched to a "wet cup of sphagnum" this gives me hope! Also, how dry is dry, and for how long? I have renifomis but have never gotten it to flower, lots of "leaves" but no flowers, so I'm willing to try anything.

I had them flooded for a long time, over the past couple months just haven't watered and let the levels drop on their own to generally moist.

I miss my chrysantha...so have to rely on a different, weedy little plant for now
U. subulata by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Also finally got all my sandersonii blooming in roughly the same time:
U. sandersonii "typical" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
U. sandersonii "Blue" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
U. sandersonii "Blue SG" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
U. sandersonii "Blue" and "Blue SG" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Also, I think I got "nephrophylla" from someone on TF last year, either during the auction or shortly after...what has bloomed is not nephrophylla
U. tridentata? by Hawken Carlton, on Flickrb
Also, quick shots of my best recent attempts at a couple Genlisea that for once are doing fine in my care
G. glandulosissima by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
G. glandulosissima by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Particularly this one since it's decided to bloom AGAIN

Back