What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hcarlton's Utrics

Always great stuff hcarlton... very nice...

Lastly, I am curious to know what all species people have successfully reproduced from seed.
I have proudly grown U. subulata from seed..... over 100000000000 times!

I have noticed in comparing pics of my original "Blue" sandersonii with those of the internet and my SG plants, that the second generation I have produced appear to be losing the bifurcated "ears" the species is known for. This may indeed be a hybrid strain, though I have no idea what you cross sandersonii with to produce the "blue" plants

And in other news, at least 4 stalks are growing in the U. calycifida pot. The most recently flowering stalk is also producing far darker flowers than my first, so there are at least 2 distinct strains in here...
U. calycifida by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

The angry bunnies are definitely back in force!
U. sandersonii typical by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
U. sandersonii typical by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
And as you can see here, in the second generation the sandersonii "blue" plants clearly lose those ears. The color pattern mostly stays however.
U. sandersonii "blue" SG by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
U. calycifida again too. Three separate stalks now bear blooms, and so far all about the same shade of purple. I know there's a lighter clone in there, maybe one of the other 3 stalks will turn out as such.

Nice calycifida flowers! How tall are the stalks? I'm worried that the container I am growing them in would be too short if they started blooming.

The stalks reach about 6-8 inches, or at least that's what they're at so far. Not sure just how tall they can get though.....

I can't wait to see how the next generation of U. Sandersonii 'Blue' looks like, what do you think it could have hybridized with?

My plants were selfed, so they hybridized with nothing. It's long been thought the "blue" form is not pure species as it is, and I think at this point I've given more evidence to that line of thought.

My plants were selfed, so they hybridized with nothing. It's long been thought the "blue" form is not pure species as it is, and I think at this point I've given more evidence to that line of thought.
Sorry, I meant what do you think Sandersonii could have hybridized with, does anyone know if this was a plant found in situ? Or was Blue created in cultivation?

Ah, I see. No clue where it was found, and honestly I haven't the foggiest idea what the other parent would have been, though I suspect they had to be closely related.....
On another note, I have a flower on my pale U. livida, and I want to see if it can cross with U. pubescens. Will update with results.

U. calycifida rebounding, and just recently another flower stalk formed and is opening flowers now
U. calycifida by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And unsurprisingly U. dichotoma still flowering...
U. dichotoma by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

No luck crossing U. pubescens, unfortunately, but maybe someday..

Back