What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loss of Foliage

Does anyone have experience growing Utricularia blanchetti before? I received some a few months ago and it was in bloom, but now I can't find any stolons on the clump of moss it used to be in. Has this happened to anyone before? I read on Barry Rice's FAQ that this happens, but I would like some confirmation, if possible.
Below are photographs of the foliage before and after it seemingly disappeared. Normally I would just assume it died but I have tricolor, praelonga, and parthenopipes in the exact same growing conditions and they have all produced new growth, so I'm not sure what is going on.
DSC_0339_1.jpg

DSC_0169_1.jpg

Maybe a too compact soil ??

Hmm, maybe. It's pure peat moss that's kept constantly wet and at basically 100% humidity. It does seem like a fragile plant compared to the other Utricularia growing in the tub. I hope there is still something alive under the soil. The tricolor's stolons shrank a lot, and it took a while to recover from the transplant, so I hope that is the case here.

perhaps it may be due to rot from poor aeration in the soil from being kept too wet always with little oxygen, same reason i assume my utricularia nephrophylla slowly declined, thats why im always afraid on using peat for my utrics.

For what it's worth - I grow U. blanchetii in drier conditions than I think your picture shows. I'm not terribly experienced with this species but it has been growing well for me and blooms constantly. The medium I use is constantly moist but is well-drained. Maybe drying it out some would make a difference?

Does anyone have experience growing Utricularia blanchetti before?
Of the little, weedy utrics - this species was quite tender for me - unlike most of the others.

Normally I would just assume it died but I have tricolor, praelonga, and parthenopipes in the exact same growing conditions and they have all produced new growth, so I'm not sure what is going on.
Apples & oranges. Section Foliosa utrics (tricolor & praelonga) are notably weedy & super robust.

I suspect Bluemax's advice is worth following.

Thank you for the advice, everyone. Bluemax, could you specify what growing medium you are using? Is it long-fibered sphagnum, or a mixture of peat and something else? I hope it's not too late to save the plant.

I'm using a rather chunky mix of peat, sand and perlite. Maybe 4:2:1. I also top water about twice a week, which is a little unusual. Most of my utrics don't seem to like that.

These photos were taken around a month ago but the pot still looks about the same:

P1115976.jpg
Utricularia blanchetii

P1115989.jpg

I hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll make that mix and hope that it grows back. Your plant looks beautiful by the way.

Thank you, Tanukimo. I would be interested in hearing how your plants do.

I was at school when I made this thread so I was unable to move the blanchetti, but I'm back for spring break. I found out that it had a flower while I was gone, and I can see the foliage again. Should I still move it? The parthenopipes in the same tub seem to be spreading.
DSC_0301_1.jpg

DSC_0304_1.jpg

Back