What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Separating Moss from Terrestrial Utrics

Hey Everyone:

About a month ago, I stopped by the UNH greenhouses and saw that they had a great CP display, but it needed some help. Mostly, everything just needed to be repotted them. I contacted them and they were more than happy to have me come out - on behalf of the NECPS - to help train their volunteers in repotting CPs and caring for CPs. In a little less than four hours yesterday, we managed to repot nearly the entirety of UNH's Sarr, VFT, Ping, and Drosera collection. What we have left, mostly, are Neps and Utrics.

As you can see below, the media the Utrics were potted in has degraded significantly. (As we were repotting we found a few tags with last repotting dates - most were more than 10 years ago). Additionally, there has been significant moss buildup in the pots. Considering Utrics are so small and thin, I wasn't sure what to suggest for how to best eliminate the moss/change out the media. I'm fairly confident that a general change out of the media can occur fairly easily, but does anyone know how to eliminate the moss?

2r2yiok.jpg

2utm7g0.jpg

xf3huo.jpg

Just one extra note, based on the VFT repotting we did, I'm estimating the moss is about an inch thick.

Thanks for the help!
-N

I would dump each seperately in a tray or tub of water and swish and swirl them around. Pick off what you can of the remaining moss and hope for the best. Set aside a lot of time to do so. Good luck!

Another option is to break the medium into pieces them "plant" the pieces into a new more inorganic medium. Unless they are changing there ways I would go for something that will not break down as quickly. Something as simple as sticking a tree fern pole into the medium (think flag pole) will provide for a lot of collapse insurance if the Utrics are not being watched. The tree fern pole will allow a small area for the Utric to put up a last stand until someone comes to help it. Airflow and moisture level will be correct at some point up the pole for many of the Utric species.

As for getting ride of the moss...let me know when you figure it out. The only way I have ever had any success was with ADA aquasoil that I isolated from any existing mosses. The wicking properties of the aquasoil does not seem to agree with mosses but with enough time and seeding the moss will get a foothold and then its all over.

A pair of tweezers and a lot of patience is the only way I know of. Repeated every few weeks until you go :crazy:

I have never had an issue with moss over running my utircs, it grows everywhere here but it doesn't seem to effect them to much, and for larger ones (reniformis, alpine....) I actually plant out some moss, it increases humidity and I think is visually appealing, I have been told it can smother the plants but even plants as small as nivea and minutisima seem to enjoy it.

Back