What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does utricularia propagate faster with any hormones ?

Does any expert know if utricularia can propagate and grow faster with any hormones like rooting hormone or IAA Auxin? just wondering

Not and expert and haven't tried either of these, but I do spray mine with diluted SeaMax and I have seen substantial growth for some species. Some, like longifolia don't seem to see any effect, but others, such as praelonga do. Not sure why.

To respond to your question: I don't know

But why bother? With a decent methodology, even a 'difficult species propagates like a weed...

Ron:

Just to be clear, for orchioides, specifically, 'Jitka', you basically had a tray filled with live sphagnum, covered in a thin film of water, in high light, right? That's what I have, basically, and that seems to have worked to revive my plant (much better than where I had it before).

Just to be clear, for orchioides, specifically, 'Jitka', you basically had a tray filled with live sphagnum, covered in a thin film of water, in high light, right? That's what I have, basically, and that seems to have worked to revive my plant (much better than where I had it before).
Yup - a live sphagnum slurry with roots laid around in it. The light wasn't even that bright ~14" below T-5's. When they develop leaves ~1/4" or larger - move to a pot of all live LFS. This simple method works great for all the large Orchidioides (not including Iperua species).

Last edited:
Yup - a live sphagnum slurry with roots laid around in it. The light wasn't even that bright ~14" below T-5's. When they develop leaves ~1/4" or larger - move to a pot of all live LFS. This simple method works great for all the large Orchidioides (not including Iperua species).

What do you use for the Iperua species? I heard from Cthulhu138 that live sphagnum is the ideal growing medium for all Orchioides but my main problem is that I don't have any live sphagnum. I've seen the pictures of your tank with the humboldtii growing in live sphagnum at the bottom of the tank, but do you normally use a different growing medium for it?

Great! That's essentially what I've done for my 'Jitka.'

Tanukimo, if you can get a plant in live sphagnum, the sphagnum should grow faster than the plant so you ought to be able to propagate it fairly quickly, at least, I have. Of course, I'm still looking for a source for more, since I do have a lot of plants. You might be able to use dead long fiber as a substitute, as it shouldn't be too too different.

What do you use for the Iperua species? I heard from Cthulhu138 that live sphagnum is the ideal growing medium for all Orchioides but my main problem is that I don't have any live sphagnum. I've seen the pictures of your tank with the humboldtii growing in live sphagnum at the bottom of the tank, but do you normally use a different growing medium for it?
I differentiated between Orchidioides & Iperua because they act differently for me (play by different rules). While I'm quite happy with my approach to growing the big Orchidioides - that's not really true with Iperua. Each Iperua species seems to have different preferences & I'm not satisfied that I've yet found optimal growing conditions for each - or the conditions I've found aren't reproducible (or convenient)**. As you mentioned, the best approach I've found for U. humboldtii is to set it free in the bottom of a larger tank & let it grow in the live LFS & sludge found down there. This isn't ideal or convenient. U. reniformis is one of the few large utrics to prefer peat-based mixes in my testing. U. geminiloba has yet to flower in my care - etc, etc, etc

You might be able to use dead long fiber as a substitute, as it shouldn't be too too different.
That hasn't been my experience - for me, they have been quite different & I have not been able to grow many species as well with dead/dried LFS. However, understand that different approaches work for different people. I copied Barry's basket method for U. jamesoniana several times & killed the plant each time. Some people can grow U. quelchii sitting in water --- I can't (at least not consistently).

I believe that U. reniformis grows like a weed & flowers all summer for Bob Z. I seem to recall Jeremiah sharing a pic of U. nelumbifolia with more flowers in one pot than I'd ever seen before. I got the impression that U. geminiloba flowered regularly for Tony P. Each of these people (& any others with similar levels of success & growing time) would probably have better info on these species than I do.

** although some of my newer approaches are showing significant potential w/ U. humboldtii.

That hasn't been my experience - for me, they have been quite different & I have not been able to grow many species as well with dead/dried LFS. However, understand that different approaches work for different people. I copied Barry's basket method for U. jamesoniana several times & killed the plant each time. Some people can grow U. quelchii sitting in water --- I can't (at least not consistently).

Hmm....I should cover my approaches more. Well, for my part, U. calyc. will grow in just about anything in my high humidity Nep tank. I received it in live sphagnum in a net pot, where the main body of the plant is doing well. It jumped into my N. kong pot from an aerial "runner" and is now flowering in that mix - sphagnum peat, sand, and a little cyprus mulch - and attempted to join another Nep pot filled with a mix of Seramis, lava gravel, and leca clay. I caught that one before it got established, so I'm not sure it would succeed long-term. I should try it.

My 'Jitka' I received also in live sphagnum in a net pot. It hated its new conditions, next to the U. caly. (And got algae in the sphagnum...which is never good). As a kind of last ditch effort, I filled up one of those death cubes with lfs, added water till it was fairly full, extracted as much of the plant as I could, along with a few, un-algaed sphagnum strands, and added those all to the death cube, which I moved on a shelf near my tropicals. In a week I saw a new leaf, which was a great improvement since it only had two. Now, at last count, it has around five new leaves, which is a significant improvement. So, I'm inclined to agree with you that it depends on the conditions.

My reniformis 'Enfant Terrible' looked to be growing in a peat-based substrate before it came to me. I haven't checked in too much on it, as it's kind of in the back of the terrarium, and I can't say I remember what mixture I potted it in. My unlabeled reniformis came to me as a small piece without any leaves. It now has one, and is in the same conditions as the 'Jitka.'

I haven't had the pleasure of growing any others, yet.

Back