What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sooooo frustrated....

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Last year I received an Aldrovanda plant and had it, along with U gibba, in a 10 gallon fish tank. One day we had a significant rain storm and when I checked on things, I found the Aldrovanda on the porch deck, dead. Just in case I put it back in the water. But it was too late. Fast forward to this week, new Aldrovnada & U. gibba, and we had another significant rain storm predicted. So I bailed water from the tank. This morning I checked on things and couldn't find the Aldrovanda. I looked around and found what looked like a piece of algae on the outside of the gallon jug I used for bailing the tank. I put it back in the water and that was my Aldrovanda. I'm pretty sure it's dead, but we'll see. I am SO frustrated!

Sorry to hear about this, although you would think that Aldrovanda would be more tolerant of rain given that it is fully exposed to it in the wild. Have you considered getting a lid or just putting something heavy over the tank when it rains? Even a tarp seems like it would work.

The Writing is on the Wall: Thou shalt not grow Aldrovanda.

But the old saying is "Third time is a charm".

FWIW I gave up trying to grow aquatic species. I found I was better at growing algae and mosquito larvae than the plants. I even tried introducing Daphnia to control the algae.

The only success I have is with U. graminifolia which you gave to me as a terrestrial but wants to grow for me as an aquatic!

Last edited:
I found I was better at growing algae and mosquito larvae than the plants.
LOL - I just captured 15-20 mosquito larvae from my outside plants & brought them inside as food for a U. humboldtii. I suspect that the humbo will be less than 100% efficient - so we'll see how much I regret this later .... ???

LOL - I just captured 15-20 mosquito larvae from my outside plants & brought them inside as food for a U. humboldtii. I suspect that the humbo will be less than 100% efficient - so we'll see how much I regret this later .... ???

Any pictures? I would be really interested in seeing them. I've introduced Cyclops to my humboldtii container but I don't know if any were caught.

You might not want to do this to your tank but if you drilled a hole an inch from the top of the tank it would drain the water from there instead of overflowing and whisking the plants away. You can also buy screen lids for tanks at a pet store, that might work too ;) It'll keep the plants in but still allow light in.

Hopefully your third time will be a charm!

Sorry to hear about this, although you would think that Aldrovanda would be more tolerant of rain given that it is fully exposed to it in the wild. Have you considered getting a lid or just putting something heavy over the tank when it rains? Even a tarp seems like it would work.

I did that a few days ago. But this time I tried to do it a favor by just bailing the water. How in the world it adhered to the side if the jug, I'll never know.

The Writing is on the Wall: Thou shalt not grow Aldrovanda.

But the old saying is "Third time is a charm".

FWIW I gave up trying to grow aquatic species. I found I was better at growing algae and mosquito larvae than the plants. I even tried introducing Daphnia to control the algae.

The only success I have is with U. graminifolia which you gave to me as a terrestrial but wants to grow for me as an aquatic!

LOL! Aldrovanda is my new Cobra Lily. I really just had a couple fluky experiences, and one bad experiment with creek water. I have kept them alive for all 4 seasons, so I know I can do it The easiest solution to potential over flow is procuring a screen that fits a 10 gallon tank.

Back