What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. humboldtii bladders (& occupant)

Based on a request over in Jim's thread, but not wanting to hijack it any more than I already have...
Any pictures? I would be really interested in seeing them. I've introduced Cyclops to my humboldtii container but I don't know if any were caught.

Several years ago, following elgecko's lead, I stuck a pot of U. longifolia over a jar of water & allowed it to grow. The longifolia loved it but I didn't. U. longifolia bladders are very small & the curved jar distorted any pics I attempted.

So, I then made several mini-tanks for the 6x6x6 net pots that are available.

..... and I ran out of initiative ..... until a few months ago.

As an experiment that I knew would fail, two years ago, I brought an established humbo up from the basement & plopped it on my windowsill - where it bloomed this year & last (for the 1st times) - completely ignoring my gloom & doom thoughts that a tepui plant couldn't ever survive the dry winter air & overwhelming summer heat. Based on this, I finally planted a small piece of U. humboldtii into a net pot & gave it it's own mini display tank. To keep algae growth down, I covered the tank with aluminum foil. A few months go by and the humbo is growing much better than I expected but so has one of it's companions on the windowsill; N. veitchii

The original humbo is on the left (soon off to it's new owner), the veitchii is everywhere & the newer humbo is on the right. Once the humbo on the left departs, I'll try and rearrange things so the veitchii doesn't so overwhelm the humbo enclosure.

Yesterday, I went out and captured 15-20 mosquito larvae from some water dishes under Sarracenia pots (that obviously haven't dried out in a while) & introduced them to the humbo tank. A few minutes ago, I shined a small flashlight into my 'viewing port' (also known as a slit in the aluminum foil) showing a general view of the bladders

.... a little closer view

.... and naturally, behind the largest submerged rolon, was a bladder filled with one larvae that won't grow to be an adult and tapping my veins

There are a few more that appear to have some occupants but I can't get the camera to focus on them...

Last edited:
Nicely done! Cool display for your plants.

Thanks for sharing! I tried to flood my humboldtii but it slowly rotted starting with the stolons with the bladders on them.

Wow, your Utricularia raised too good, what is the secret?

村花洛洛;1154528 said:
Wow, your Utricularia raised too good, what is the secret?
No secrets - it's all there in the first post. ???

Back